Auto locking when walking away?

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Picked up the Trophy today and getting used to it, but does it have auto locking when you walk away?

Had it on the previous car and got used to it.

Cheers!

No, but it does auto lock after 30 seconds if you unlock it then don't open a door.

Thanks - will need to remember to lock to her after driving!

If the key isn’t in the car can it still be driven off?

Thanks - will need to remember to lock to her after driving!

If the key isn’t in the car can it still be driven off?
Might depend if it has already been switched on. I tend to switch the car off on the info screen before I exit.

Was it a Renault you had before?
That’s the only car we’ve had that featured ‘walk away lock’ and it’s bloody brilliant, you really do miss it.

Was it a Renault you had before?
That’s the only car we’ve had that featured ‘walk away lock’ and it’s bloody brilliant, you really do miss it.
A Captur - I was never a fan of the walk away locking but my wife liked it.

I prefer it that way. You can then check the car is locked which is difficult with auto unlocking or locking.
Yes, I always use the door handle button to lock. This is so automatic, that after I walk away, I sometimes wonder if I've locked it. Look back - if the mirrors are folded in, it's locked!

PS: My son's Tesla M3 has auto locking - I don't like it, it makes me nervous, I want to check. (I'd probably get used to it . . . )

Yes, I always use the door handle button to lock. This is so automatic, that after I walk away, I sometimes wonder if I've locked it. Look back - if the mirrors are folded in, it's locked!

PS: My son's Tesla M3 has auto locking - I don't like it, it makes me nervous, I want to check. (I'd probably get used to it . . . )

Auto lock in the Renault is (or certainly was) accompanied by the indicators flashing and a beep.
Now, it’s an interesting thing, as according to law you’re not allowed to have an ‘audio indication of alarm setting’
It must be ‘visual only’
This law was in force when we had the Renault, and it’s still in force now.
Yet my wife’s Evoque also does a beep on lock…(key locking, not walk away)
Does the Tesla beep on walk away lock?

Anyway, my point is the Renault would beep and you could comfortably walk away without having to look back.

Does the Tesla beep on walk away lock?
No, it doesn't, but if you have stopped somewhere quiet, you can hear the motors whirring as they auto-fold the wing mirrors.

Horror stories are told of Teslas being stolen when the thief jumps in the car while it is still unlocked as the driver walks away. I do not find this plausible. My son's Model 3 is parked outside the house today, so I tested it, and the car locks as soon as I am 4 paces away from the front.

Interesting autolocking feature on the MG4: If the car is locked, and you open the boot with the latch - when you close the boot again, it auto locks almost immediately, with flashing lights!

And if you've left the key inside the boot, and you can't find your spare key, you are in deep doo-doo. Ask me how I know.
Did you have the Bluetooth key enabled? If so, did it not work?
I have an SE SR but it does have the Bluetooth keyless entry enabled. I wonder if it can be used in such a case.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back