Auto Wipers

Manual says some models?
Screenshot_20220529_124239.jpg

Easy way look at front window screen from outside and where rear view mirror is you have a camera and hopefully a rain sensor you could always take a picture

Anyone know if there is a auto setting for the 2022 zst vibe? It states in the manual and the spec sheets that there is a rain sensor for the car but there is no auto setting on the stalk... the wipers do not come on when rain starts, also the intermittent mode works with or without water on the windscreen. I'm starting to think i have been had.View attachment 8682
@harleyman if you have the SE version of the Long Range Zs there is no auto wipe, only on Trophy versions

@harleyman if you have the SE version of the Long Range Zs there is no auto wipe, only on Trophy versions
Hi

But is the rain sensor also visible on the facelift version.

Asking because i bought the "luxury" which here is the "top of the line" version with the sunroof, rear cross traffic assistant and whatnot.

On the MG website for Denmark, it clearly in the options state, that the "luxury" has a rain sensor, but when i look at my car, it does not have any "hole" for the rain sensor, in the blacked out part, where the camera sits.

I do know what to look for, as previous cars have had a rain sensor that was visible, but here there is none visible.

If it is supposed to be there, i am certainly going to ask the dealer, why my car seemingly does not have a rain sensor, when they sold me the car, stating that it had.

Anyone know if there is a auto setting for the 2022 zst vibe? It states in the manual and the spec sheets that there is a rain sensor for the car but there is no auto setting on the stalk... the wipers do not come on when rain starts, also the intermittent mode works with or without water on the windscreen. I'm starting to think i have been had.View attachment 8682
I am having exactly the same issue with the same car. It was working fine for a week now when its on the same setting it is only on the intermittent mode and still goes off if the windscreen is dry and doesn't speed up for rain. WTF! help anyone?
Also I've noticed that when reversing at night there is not much light at the back of the car you can hardly see anything in the reverse camera, is this how it looks or am I missing a light setting?

I am having exactly the same issue with the same car. It was working fine for a week now when its on the same setting it is only on the intermittent mode and still goes off if the windscreen is dry and doesn't speed up for rain. WTF! help anyone?
Also I've noticed that when reversing at night there is not much light at the back of the car you can hardly see anything in the reverse camera, is this how it looks or am I missing a light setting?
We took ours into the MG workshop and they found a fault with the wiper sensor, they fixed it but it only lasted 2 days, when we contacted them again they said it will need a system update and they have passed it on to the MG 'engineers'. so we are stuck with a feature that doesn't work with no date of fix.

Cant comment on the brightness of the screen at night but the camera and screen are rather blurry and low resolution during the day.

Last edited:
harleyman exactly this is happening to my ZS in Europe ... I see many variations of ZS has this issue. Im goning tomrrow for service check for this issue, dont know what they can do about it. I would like to have replacment for new rain senzor

The auto seems to work after flicking the lever firstly, automatically adjusting the intermittent speed
My wipers sometimes don't even do anything when I use the wash function. Firstly apply wash and than manualy activate wipers in position 1. I had rain sensor in my previous car, an Audi A5, so I know how it should work. These Chinese cars have many unpolished features it seem like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I call them random wipers. I noticed one day last week that when I put the stalk up to the next notch, which is supposed to be slow speed continuous, they sometimes did a wipe then a pause, then a wipe, then a pause, a bit like intermittent wipers do. What's that all about ? :unsure:
My zs mk1 sometimes does the same, not sure what triggers it.

Mine wipers sometimes dont even do anything when I use wash function. Firstly apply wash and than manualy activate wipers in position 1. I had rain senzor in previuous car Audi A5, so I know how it should work. These Chinese cars has many unpolished features seem like.
On the ZS EV when you pull back on the wiper stalk, you should get wash first, followed by about 5 passes of the wipers blades.
Then it will pause for about five seconds, then give one final sweep to remove the last remaining water left on the screen.
When the wipers take on a mind of there own, I find if I turn then OFF leave for a few seconds and then select the first intermedate setting, they calm down !.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the wipers take on a mind of there own, I find if I turn then OFF leave for a few seconds and then select the first intermediate setting, they calm down !
I have a theory about that. The wipers are presumably controlled by a PI control loop. I get the feeling that they might be suffering from integral wind-up, and turning them off for a bit resets the control parameters, in particular the I (Integral) factor to zero.

I'm no control expert, but I know that failing to consider integral wind-up is a common Rookie mistake.

Ref Coulomb, I'm not sure that you can call the designers of this car Rookies! They have got a lot right, if not all of it! Having said that, i do get irritated with the wipers now and again, but that may be because the control stalk is over- complicated or just trying to be too clever.!

Maybe not the designers, but the software engineers certainly, and it's the software which controls the hardware. :)

Of course, but there is an awful lot of software, and a lot that works well. I think the motor control is excellent, for instance, whilst the touch control of the satnav is terrible. I think most bad bits are down to lack of development.

Mine wipers sometimes dont even do anything when I use wash function. Firstly apply wash and than manualy activate wipers in position 1. I had rain senzor in previuous car Audi A5, so I know how it should work. These Chinese cars has many unpolished features seem like.

Absolutely, you get what you pay for :p

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom