Autohold on MG 4 ?

Mamba

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi how do I use my Autohold function? Had the car for 3months, not sure if I’ve actually used my Autohold yet. Please advise.

To use auto hold - when you come to a stop, press firmly on the brake pedal, and you should get a green (A) appear. At this point you can take your foot off the break and the car won't move, until you touch the accelerator and away you go.

This is probably a lot easier than toggling the parking brake, and running into the issues (not that I have had myself) that you have posted in your other post.

Edited - changed from P to A as I couldn't remember, only it's green

Last edited:
When you come to a stop, give the brake pedal a bit of a hard press until the A inside a circle in the centre of the driver’s display goes green. Edit: or maybe it’s a P 😀

Make sure the setting for Autohold is enabled - it's in one of the Car menu pages (Safety tab?). Make sure the car is in READY state before changing any setting.

At this point you can take your foot off the break and the car won't move, until you touch the accelerator and away you go.
Also you can touch the brake pedal again (to disengage the auto hold) the car will gently creep forward. Very useful in traffic and makes a for a smooth start.

Make sure the setting for Autohold is enabled - it's in one of the Car menu pages (Safety tab?). Make sure the car is in READY state before changing any setting.
Yes, the setting is disabled by default, and you need to turn it on to use it. It is in the car menus on the safety tab as you have said. Plus once enabled it stays enabled.

You have to be in ready mode with the seatbelt on to activate it initially and then it will stay activated.
Curiously if you re-visit the menu with the seatbelt off, the autohold will show as being off. Putting the seatbelt on will switch it on again.
No idea if autohold needs the seatbelt on to function as I haven't tried that .....yet!

Another 'feature' of the autohold is if left on for a while (not sure quite how long) it converts to 'parking brake' and a red P symbol is shown in place of the green A.
Simultaneously the brake lights go out as well.

Yes, I saw that happen once when I was stuck at traffic light controlled roadworks.

I was using the ACC at the time and I think that disengaged it. I wondered why the car didn't move off. Oh well, they tell you not to use ACC in roadworks anyway.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back