Automated charging

Padsdad

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Good afternoon. I have just taken delivery of an MG5 so a bit of a newby its my 1st ev. Brilliant car, so far happy with it. Not got a proper charger for it yet, that's on my too list and will take a few weeks to get one installed. Is it possible in the meantime, using the granny charger to plug in to the car, then switch it on remotely with a smart socket at a later scheduled time to take advantage to the cheaper tariff. Not sure if the car will allow that. Hope its not a daft Q.

I don't see why that wouldn't work, but then I have the ZS. The car should charge when it's connected to power.

I don't think there's a smart socket suitable for a constant 10a current. I wouldn't personally trust one for that purpose. They can get hot and catch fire so it's not worth the risk.

I had my granny on a Hive socket worked fine but I did seem to check it for heat an awful lot...but it was ok. Only used it until i got my Ohme.

I'd echo the caution theme.
First time you do it keep a very close eye on what's happening and act accordingly.
It might be useful to check equipment/cable temperatures with an IR gun. It won't take that long to peak and stabilise when on load.
Make sure any excess cable is uncoiled.

I only charge mine on the Granny, depending on how you use it the cheap tariff might not be hugely beneficial. Even on a full overnight charge you'll only get around 40% back in the battery so you could end up charging every night depending on mileage.

I have an old "clockwork" type mains timer rated at 13A. To be safe I ran it first during daytime hours to check and there is no significant heat increase at all over several hours. I now use it to "harvest" Economy 7 electricity most night using the Granny charger.

I have an old "clockwork" type mains timer rated at 13A. To be safe I ran it first during daytime hours to check and there is no significant heat increase at all over several hours. I now use it to "harvest" Economy 7 electricity most night using the Granny charger.
The trouble with those mechanical ones tends to be with the 'off' switch. They can have a tendency to not trip back off when high currents are going through them, or inductive loads. I tried running a chest freezer with one but it just wouldn't stop reliably. If you've got one that works, then you're onto a winner with that. Reliable and cheap, words that often don't go well together.

The trouble with those mechanical ones tends to be with the 'off' switch. They can have a tendency to not trip back off when high currents are going through them, or inductive loads. I tried running a chest freezer with one but it just wouldn't stop reliably. If you've got one that works, then you're onto a winner with that. Reliable and cheap, words that often don't go well together.
A bit off topic, I'm interested, why do you turn a freezer on and off on a timer, is it an economy thing (asking as a tight Yorkshireman ;) ) ?

A bit off topic, I'm interested, why do you turn a freezer on and off on a timer, is it an economy thing (asking as a tight Yorkshireman ;) ) ?
That was the plan. I've got a chest freezer in the garage so I was seeing how big an impact turning it off overnight would be. Not much it turns out, as my timer wouldn't switch off and I figured buying a new one is probably more than the cost of the electricity saved. Freezers can be a bit of an energy hog.

Thanks for the warning. If my daytime bills start to increase unexpectedly, I'll know where to look. The one I've got is about 300yrs old - built to last :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom