Geriatric Joe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
We will be offered MG 4 one pedal driving (Automatic braking) download patch in the near future.
Is it a safe feature or does it stop the car suddenly and unexpectedly when driving making it a dangerous feature.
Any suggestions for or against, ?

We will be offered MG 4 one pedal driving (Automatic braking) download patch in the near future.
Is it a safe feature or does it stop the car suddenly and unexpectedly when driving making it a dangerous feature.
It's just regen that actually brings you to a halt instead of just slowing you to very slow.

I think the "coming to a stop" action is performed by the brakes ... regen gives you diminishing returns the slower you get so can't bring you to an absolute stop (unless friction is part of the process).

It's just regen that actually brings you to a halt instead of just slowing you to very slow.
48 mile drive today in Xpower and don't actually remember using the brakes at all (other than very 1st 500yds to clear off overnight rain/gunk). Rest of the time just OPD. I personally prefer it to 1,2,3 or adaptive.

I think the "coming to a stop" action is performed by the brakes ... regen gives you diminishing returns the slower you get so can't bring you to an absolute stop (unless friction is part of the process).
It feels like regen the whole way. The power meter hits high negatives, and it just eases to a stop. With auto handbrake, and it's a true one pedal experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

I do use it on our 6 week old Trophy LR, works fine, comes to a stop smoothly.

OPD gets the thumbs up from me, I use on all local journeys and find it great for

1 Slowing down and stopping in traffic queues.
2. Slowing down enough for speed humps,
3. Slowing right down or Stopping at Give Ways
4. Slowing down for turning

All done smoothly with no movement required onto the brake (unless harder braking required).

On motorways it's less useful IMHO but still useable.

I fully agree, just hope that in the near future the system retains the once choosen OPD setting instead of the need to start up the OPD option for every new trip

I enquired but was told early adopters of the MG4 would not get the upgrade because the hardware is incompatible.

No. I enquired but was told early adopters of the MG4 would not get the upgrade because the hardware is incompatible.

I enquired but was told early adopters of the MG4 would not get the upgrade because the hardware is incompatible.
I don't believe that for one minute - the Phase 1 cars can stop when ACC/TJA is engaged and the car in front has stopped, so they are most certainly hardware-compatible. 🙄

Lots of MG people and MG dealers have confidently announced things which were definitely not so. I think some of them just say the first thing that comes into their heads that they think will get the customer off their backs and protect MG's alleged reputation. We were once told that the SE was never meant to have an external temperature display, in order to avoid admitting that losing it with R16 was an accidental bug.

I don't believe that for one minute - the Phase 1 cars can stop when ACC/TJA is engaged and the car in front has stopped, so they are most certainly hardware-compatible. 🙄
I don't either.

But I think that'll be the excuse. There's no advantage for them in rolling out the update to phase 1 cars.

I have this in my xpower. But frustrating switching this one and Lane assist off every time but it is my fault for picking an MG.

It is so nice to drive with this feature.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back