Automatic closing of mirrors

Noraf142

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi there folks .
Does anyone know how to disable the automatic closing of the side mirrors?
We have had conditions with icing lately, and I hate to burn the motors on them when opening the car to get the brush out, and heat going.
One thing is at home, where I could, but haven't, have a brush awailible outside of the car, that is a bit difficult when it's parked in town....

This is probably my main problem with the ZS, and seems to me like a really bad idea from MG. Especially when they sell the car to countrys with winter conditions, snow and cold weather.

It isn't possible in the in car menus or button selection.

The only way I can think of(which is a little drastic) is follow the instruction on page 273-274 of the owners manual to open the wing mirror housing. Then remove/de-pin the power line to the motor, heat shrink and secure safely.

I haven't done this, so I'm not entirely sure how the car will react but it will be entirely reversible.

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 12.45.32.png

I'll still be worrying about them.

The disconnecting idea got me thinking, so I might have to go fuse gigging, to see if I can find a solution there.

Heavyish snow here 2 days ago and a low of -11DegC last night (brrrrr). I decided to de-snow/de-ice the car this afternoon. Glad I didn't try to open it....each wing mirror had a significant lump of ice between the mirror housing and the plastic ledge! Fortunately my scraper was in the boot.

Probably will have to stick it in the boot yes.
Either that, or disassembly the mirrors to fine the wire for the folding motor.
But then again, that makes them inop....

Reason I prefer having the brush in the cab, is to dry it out, as the air gets warmer there.

The disconnecting idea got me thinking, so I might have to go fuse gigging, to see if I can find a solution there.
The manual doesn't state a folding mirrors fuse(unless I've missed it), I'm guessing it's incorporated with the heated mirrors which is why I suggested the above idea.

So many cars have auto folding mirrors now, I've have them on my current car without any issue,6 years. same for Wifeys' car. I am regularly on the road between 5 and 6 in the morning all year round.
If you are really worried about it any good auto electrician will be able to wire in a switch that allows you fold in the mirrors manually. My old Saab had that.

So many cars have auto folding mirrors now, I've have them on my current car without any issue,6 years. same for Wifeys' car. I am regularly on the road between 5 and 6 in the morning all year round.
If you are really worried about it any good auto electrician will be able to wire in a switch that allows you fold in the mirrors manually. My old Saab had that.
The ZS has a switch to manually fold them. I think it’s trying to find a way to stop them automatically folding that’s the concern.

Hi there folks .
Does anyone know how to disable the automatic closing of the side mirrors?
We have had conditions with icing lately, and I hate to burn the motors on them when opening the car to get the brush out, and heat going.
One thing is at home, where I could, but haven't, have a brush awailible outside of the car, that is a bit difficult when it's parked in town....

This is probably my main problem with the ZS, and seems to me like a really bad idea from MG. Especially when they sell the car to countrys with winter conditions, snow and cold weather.
Do you every have any similar issues with the auto wipers?

No, as I always turn the wipers of when parking.
I sometimes also set them in service positions so I can lift them up from the window. Then I put them down before unlocking the car, and turning it on.

Old habit from cars without rain sensors

Yes. Good idea. I sometimes forget I’ve left them on auto sensing.

No, as I always turn the wipers of when parking.
I sometimes also set them in service positions so I can lift them up from the window. Then I put them down before unlocking the car, and turning it on.

Old habit from cars without rain sensors
I've seen some put sheets of newspapers under the blades, what's that do ?

To try to stop the windscreen freezing over

That, and to stop the blades from getting stuck due to ice buildup too.
I got a specialized cover for it, but never remember to use it.... 😁

I find it really annoying that you can't close the mirrors whilst driving. I'm so used to being able to close the mirrors when driving through tight gaps or down tight country lanes.
I find it really irritating.

I find it really annoying that you can't close the mirrors whilst driving. I'm so used to being able to close the mirrors when driving through tight gaps or down tight country lanes.
I find it really irritating.
Yes you can pull the little button that controls the mirrors downwards to close and push up to open, I think it’s that way around anyway.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom