Average cost of a 7kW home charger!

Some good news! :D Had a call from Chapelhouse MG in Wigan to say my new MG ZS EV had arrived & they said all the software updates will be taken care of prior to me collecting it :)
Only downside is I wont be able to pick it up until the end of January when this Kia Niro hybrid comes off lease.☹️
I'm still waiting to hear back from BP Pulse regarding the 7kw wall box assessment & installation. I sent them plenty of pictures of the driveway,garage, electricals etc by email, Not sure if there's a delay with them being re-branded BP Pulse since their merger with Polar! :confused:

Some good news! :D Had a call from Chapelhouse MG in Wigan to say my new MG ZS EV had arrived & they said all the software updates will be taken care of prior to me collecting it :)
Only downside is I wont be able to pick it up until the end of January when this Kia Niro hybrid comes off lease.☹️
I'm still waiting to hear back from BP Pulse regarding the 7kw wall box assessment & installation. I sent them plenty of pictures of the driveway,garage, electricals etc by email, Not sure if there's a delay with them being re-branded BP Pulse since their merger with Polar! :confused:
I found BP Pulse (ex Polar) to be fairly quick once they have all your information. Just a couple of weeks although they did say they were struggling to keep up with demand during Covid.

It may not cost you anything to get the mains cut out upgraded to 80A. You need to contact the power network owner for your area, not your electricity supplier but the ones who own and maintain the cables etc.
Mine is Northern Power and they said my 60A could be upgraded to 80A for free but if I wanted a 100A it may involve extra work digging cables up which is chargeable. I opted for the free 80A upgrade and when the contractor came they put me a 100A fuse in free as the existing lines were ample.

Hello Kithmo I followed your advice & got in touch with our network provider Electricity north west as one of the criteria on the OLEV grant for a 7kw wall unit was the household needs to have earth bonding straps on pipework with picture evidence, er no none to be seen in the usual places :eek: So i rang our network provider to get a safety check of the household electrics done, They sent someone out the same day, that was over a week ago & I asked him about the upgrade to 80Amp, the biggest fuse in the old fuse board is only 30Amp o_O so he took a bunch of pics of our antiquated system & said our chief engineer will be in touch with you.

Well he rang & turned up today and said we can upgrade you (free of charge) but it will entail digging up quite a bit of your garden to the main supply in the road :cry: as they couldn't isolate this old loop system that comes into the house at ceiling height from the other two houses we share the supply with.

Although our house electrics are old they passed the safety test & all earthing points came well within specs. There are earth wires going off from the bakerlite fuse board underneath the floorboards to I'm guessing the water & gas pipework but they're not the 10mm needed for today's code.

I haven't heard back from the OLEV guys since I filled in the online forms & sent off lots of pictures just before Christmas due to the holidays but some positive news is the electricity network guys said they could start the job by mid January all being well, I'm not due to pick up the MG ZS ev til the 1st of February.
Thanks again.

14p normal rate 5p 12.30 - 4.30.
Octopus go. So our normal rate is about 4p cheaper than our previous Bulb normal rate on Economy 7.
Is there any standing charge on top of the KWH rate?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom