SimonS

Established Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Bad News first, Free charging in South Ayrshire with Charge Place Scotland (which is funded by the council) is coming to an end on 31st March 2024.

The good news is that the charges from April 1st are quite reasonable at 31p/kWh for AC (up to 22kWh) and 37p for the DC 50kW chargers. These charges will also apply across North and East Ayrshire

Full details at Ayrshire's new public EV charging tariff - South Ayrshire Council

That’s really good prices compared to most places here on Isle of Wight

Majority of public chargers here are Mer

22kwh / 56p/kwh

50kwh / 72p/kwh

Attachments

• IMG_1960.png
    IMG_1960.png
    278.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1961.png
    IMG_1961.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 24
Bad News first, Free charging in South Ayrshire with Charge Place Scotland (which is funded by the council) is coming to an end on 31st March 2024.

The good news is that the charges from April 1st are quite reasonable at 31p/kWh for AC (up to 22kWh) and 37p for the DC 50kW chargers. These charges will also apply across North and East Ayrshire

Full details at Ayrshire's new public EV charging tariff - South Ayrshire Council
That is a good price. Sadly my local chargers in London are shooting up :-(

The thing is, the government want operators to be free to charge a lot to encourage the roll out of new chargers and make smaller or less populated locations viable.

I imagine once we get charger saturation we'll see much more price competition, consolidation of the players in the market and greater regulation over pricing.

One worry though is that the treasury choose to add additional taxes as more people stop paying fuel tax.

The thing is, the government want operators to be free to charge a lot to encourage the roll out of new chargers and make smaller or less populated locations viable.

I imagine once we get charger saturation we'll see much more price competition, consolidation of the players in the market and greater regulation over pricing.

One worry though is that the treasury choose to add additional taxes as more people stop paying fuel tax.
The challenge I guess is people like myself who cannot have a home charger and rely on public charge get hit harder. I got an EV not just for the savings but the cost of public charging is slowly creeping up towards being more than my old diesel car.

If it keeps jumping up the way it has been I will hit that ceiling by the end of the year.

Yes. Once we have more charging infrastructure it will be less about recouping the capital costs and more about the operational costs, so prices should decrease significantly. It is currently costing about 5p/kW to generate/import power to the grid, so plenty of scope to drop them.

Of course, the government could be doing a lot more with incentives (eg abolish the VAT on public charging or at least reduce to 5% to match the home rate).

I suppose the other question is how much more expensive is petrol and diesel going to get?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom