Bad smell when starting car.

Chrisd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Ok. Another issue has started. When I start the car there is a bad smell which could be electrical in nature. It stops after a minute or so.
Anyone else experienced this and can give soothing reassurance or am I about to be quite alarmed!

This burning smell happened in our MG5 LR about 3 or 4 times in the first few weeks after taking delivery in Sept 2021. It happened shortly after starting the car and moving off. Took it to a dealer which kept it for a few days but couldn't replicate or identify the problem. It hasn't occurred since. However, the dealer said it was as well to have brought it in as it would help with a claim under the warranty were the problem or a related problem to re-occur. So you might want to get your dealer to look at your car just in case...

Ok. Another issue has started. When I start the car there is a bad smell which could be electrical in nature. It stops after a minute or so.
Anyone else experienced this and can give soothing reassurance or am I about to be quite alarmed!
Very likely to be the heater element, inside of the heater box.
The heater in a an EV is fairly similar to an home electric fire 🔥 in the way it works really.
The heater element draws a lot of power from the HV battery to heat the element.
This is seen by the big reduction in driving range when high demands for heat are required.
The heater blower motor on the other hand, is powered by the 12 volt battery.
When cars are new, or the heater has not been used for a while, there can be a slight electrical burning smell when they are first used again.
This smell should disappear after a short term of use !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom