battery dead anyone else?

taxiterry

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Thursday unnplugged from the trickle charger at work and drove 30 miles everything ok. All of a sudden all the systems started shutting down and the red battery light appeard on the dash. pulled over and the screens switched off as well as the car and car couldnt be started. got a tow back to MG garage as RAC were unable to help. they had the car all day but seem non the wiser. said they sent the data to MG for analysis and cant do anything until they read the data. anyone else had this issue?

MG 5 2022 Exclusive model

~~~~~~UPDATED~~~~

Spoke with the dealer today. Turns out problem is with the onboard battery charger. Warranty is covering the cost which was quoted at £1000. So hopefully I'll have the car back sometime next week. Hopefully they are also covering the cost of the 12V battery which the dealer thought was the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard of that on a MG 5 but the 4 has had a lot of issues with the battery. You could just have a dud one.

What SoC was the car at when you started charging and are you certain the charge state has increased when you finished?

Thursday unnplugged from the trickle charger at work and drove 30 miles everything ok. All of a sudden all the systems started shutting down and the red battery light appeard on the dash. pulled over and the screens switched off as well as the car and car couldnt be started. got a tow back to MG garage as RAC were unable to help. they had the car all day but seem non the wiser. said they sent the data to MG for analysis and cant do anything until they read the data. anyone else had this issue?

MG 5 2022 Exclusive mode
My take is that the car was plugged into an EVSE (Level 1 or 2)?

If the CCU (on board charger) was working properly the 12V aux battery should have been fully charged during work and while driving it’s topped up by the main battery.

I’m pretty sure RAC checked it’s voltage and would have been able to ‘jump start’ it if it was low.

Therefore I don’t think this is aux battery related as surely the garage would have diagnosed and fixed this quickly.

5teep has a good point, a faulty CCU won’t charge the main battery either but usually you should still be able to drive the car and DC charge in that case.

However there is at least one know case where the car wouldn’t move:

What is different in your case is that the problem appeared while driving although I recall something similar happened to cars with early FW versions.

Mickey

MG 5 2022 Exclusive model

The only use of trickle charge to me is to trickle charge a 12v battery. If this is what the OP @taxiterry meant it would have been helpful to mention the 12v battery was intended it would have been helpful to have mentioned the 12v. If it is not the 12v then it would have been helpful to mention whatever it was, 7kW EVSE or Granny or whatever.

Correct terminology and plenty of information is really useful to aid in reporting problems or asking for help/opinions.

Hey all, sorry for the incorrect terminology. By trickle I meant 7kW charger. had an update from MG dealer, Who only has one MG trained technician to say they have have to replace the 12v battery which is not covered under warranty as the car is 1 year 1 month old. but that will take up to 4 days to arrive! but that still could not be the problem and they still have to await MG findings. Seems to me they don't really have a clue what's the problem and they are clutching at straws.

Others that had emergency shut off were late deliveries before the face lift model. But this was obvious from early on, not a year down the line. That was a firmware issue /mismatch from the factory switching up parts at the end of production.

Hey all, sorry for the incorrect terminology. By trickle I meant 7kW charger. had an update from MG dealer, Who only has one MG trained technician to say they have have to replace the 12v battery which is not covered under warranty as the car is 1 year 1 month old. but that will take up to 4 days to arrive! but that still could not be the problem and they still have to await MG findings. Seems to me they don't really have a clue what's the problem and they are clutching at straws.
Seems par for the course, techs are good but they have no experience with the brand yet.

Others that had emergency shut off were late deliveries before the face lift model. But this was obvious from early on, not a year down the line. That was a firmware issue /mismatch from the factory switching up parts at the end of production.
If it's the problem I think you are referring to it also didn't completely shut off, it went into limp mode, so you could just about roll it somewhere out of the way.

Not sure if you are saying that they have changed the 12v battery and still the same problem or by now ( Saturday) it should be replaced with new battery and all is well.

Hi taxiterry

A few questions
Firstly what happened to the 7 years warranty?
What Mileage is on the clock? Do you charge regularly to 100%? What was the SoC on the day it failed? Have you ever run the battery down to zero%? I thought road side assistance was with the AA not the RAC - what reason did they give for not being able to help? Name the dealership - only one "MG trained technician" are they a new dealership?

Fascinating and alarming at the same time
Sincerely and in good faith
Martin Reid

I was going to ask about the seven year warranty?? Surely all the batteries are covered by this warranty? If not, this has me worried as we have a ZS 2022 reg too. A friend of mine has had a similar issue needing replacement, my battery and she is still waiting sixteen weeks later.

I was going to ask about the seven year warranty?? Surely all the batteries are covered by this warranty? If not, this has me worried as we have a ZS 2022 reg too. A friend of mine has had a similar issue needing replacement, my battery and she is still waiting sixteen weeks later.
The 12 volt battery is only one of the items that is only covered for the first 12 months under warranty.
The traction battery IS covered by the 7 year warranty if it should completely fail, but this is unlikely to happen.
That is why they are confident in offering the warranty period of course.

Hi taxiterry

A few questions
Firstly what happened to the 7 years warranty?
What Mileage is on the clock? Do you charge regularly to 100%? What was the SoC on the day it failed? Have you ever run the battery down to zero%? I thought road side assistance was with the AA not the RAC - what reason did they give for not being able to help? Name the dealership - only one "MG trained technician" are they a new dealership?

Fascinating and alarming at the same time
Sincerely and in good faith
Martin Reid
Not sure if can open document below which a warrant list

Attachments

• MG_Online_Warranty_Statement_October_2021 (2).pdf
    275.2 KB · Views: 106
Yes I had the same problem when I first tried to charge in Waitrose car park Shell Recharge ccs on Sunday afternoon a month after delivery but all of a sudden the RED warning light came on & the the battery went dead and have to call out MG/AA emergency who sent out a flatbed tow truck the next day Monday morning to tow the car back to Chiswick MG workshop and took them 4 days before they returned the car claiming it was a software problem and have to have new software update, I find the excuse rather flimsy as they should have had new updated software installed before delivering the car to me!

The 12 volt battery is only one of the items that is only covered for the first 12 months under warranty.
The traction battery IS covered by the 7 year warranty if it should completely fail, but this is unlikely to happen.
That is why they are confident in offering the warranty period of course.
Given that I need layman’s terms(!!) sorry, is the traction battery the one that charges the vehicle? Thank you very much.

Given that I need layman’s terms(!!) sorry, is the traction battery the one that charges the vehicle? Thank you very much.
The main high voltage traction battery which is used to drive the motor, is bolted under the floor pan of the car, this is the battery that is used to provide a charge to the small 12 volt battery that is located under the bonnet.
The 12 volt battery is used to power all of the items like the lights / wipers etc.
It is required to boot up the car into ready mode.

Terminology is hard. Much like with USB, the one that everyone thinks of as "normal" or even "slow" is actually officially "fast", and the one everyone thinks of as "fast" has a much more hyperbolic name!

Quick summary below

Standard/slow: 3 pin plug into the wall, maximum 3kw/13A, less with the supplied MG lead (10A). Often referred to as a "granny" charger because it's what you're like to use when visiting relatives without EVSEs

Fast: any AC charger - can be anything from barely more than 3kw all the way to 22 (3-phase, 16A per phase). Often referred to as a "destination charger" because they're found in places where you're likely to leave your car for an extended period e.g. public car parks, offices, hotels. Actual speed limited by your vehicle's onboard AC charger (the inverter for AC is in the car, not the EVSE) so many cars will only pull 7kw from a 22kw charger.

Rapid: DC chargers - can be anything from 25kw to 350+kw - connects directly to the battery. Usually found at service stations, usually used for "on journey" charging. Almost everyone who isn't an EV owning pedant (hi) calls these "fast chargers" - again, your vehicle will tell the charger how much current it can take. 50kw is still a fairly common limit especially on cars which aren't built on a bespoke EV platform.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom