Battery degradation over 10 years..............

mj224

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My previous EV was a little Citroen Zero. The manufacturers (Mitsubishi) advertised mileage was 93 miles on a full charge.

This article says the real world range was 63 miles. Citroen C-Zero (2010-2018) range, battery & charging | DrivingElectric

My little car after 10 years, still gave a summer mileage of 50+ miles, and 40+ during winter.

My point is that after 10 years, the battery (16Kw) still gave a very good percentage of power retention, and relatively low degradation

Yes - good to see real world stuff. Generally batteries overall seem to be performing batter than expected.

My previous EV was a little Citroen Zero. The manufacturers (Mitsubishi) advertised mileage was 93 miles on a full charge.

This article says the real world range was 63 miles. Citroen C-Zero (2010-2018) range, battery & charging | DrivingElectric

My little car after 10 years, still gave a summer mileage of 50+ miles, and 40+ during winter.

My point is that after 10 years, the battery (16Kw) still gave a very good percentage of power retention, and relatively low degradation
And newer batteries, with better tech to manage them, should hopefully degrade even less

I do like the Fully Charged stuff, but sometimes I find their EV evangelism a bit hard to take. It's almost like ICE cars are the spawn of the devil and have never been good for anything. Example - in this video, Kryton asks how many ICE cars would survive 20 years without engine servicing, and then reliably informs us the answer is none. Whilst I'm certain the great majority of cars would fall into this, there are stories around of others exceeding this easily. I even remember in an old bike mag years ago where they took a sports bike and thrashed it relentlessly on a track for some ridiculous amount of time/mileage from new with no servicing. They eventually stripped the engine and IIRC all/most parts were still serviceable!

Whilst I do fly the EV flag, I try to do it in a manner that doesn't alienate the non-converted! ;)

Edit - forgot to say, my post takes nothing away from the impressive battery life of the Tesla!

My old PE teacher had a Lada that he had for donkeys years, and he didn't even know it needed servicing.

In fairness though, having also had a Lada...I think it probably didn't

My old PE teacher had a Lada that he had for donkeys years, and he didn't even know it needed servicing.

Hah, my mother bless her ripped the handbrake out of the floor of her lada. She took that as a cue to upgrade her car 🤣

How would you tell?

has anyone got a source for that Tesla degradation figure?

Very good to know... how often did you charge it?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom