Battery equalisation - balancing

Cliff Mitchell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have owned the MG ZS EV for just over a month. I have charged it, two maybe three times a week. It has never been below 25% and the highest charge has been about 91%. In the experience of the forum is it better to wait for the car to tell me it needs an equalising charge, or should I leave the car plugged in after 100% and allow time for the equalising/balancing charge to happen?

Interested in your views - your experience shall be my guide.

I have owned the MG ZS EV for just over a month. I have charged it, two maybe three times a week. It has never been below 25% and the highest charge has been about 91%. In the experience of the forum is it better to wait for the car to tell me it needs an equalising charge, or should I leave the car plugged in after 100% and allow time for the equalising/balancing charge to happen?

Interested in your views - your experience shall be my guide.
Full charge is no problem.
if you use the car in a short time .
If you don't use the car for a few days it is not good for the batterie tot park with full chsrged batterie . I charge my mg once a month 100 % till the mg logo stops
And the mg is already protected the batterie is 45kw. En full charged he not more than 42,5kw

Last edited:
I tend to charge mine to 100% when it needs a charge and the car tells me so. IT usually won't balance during an overnight charge, so occasionally I'll balance it the following night, although I haven't done that for the last couple of charges.

I charge to 100% every time I charge and leave it to balance until the logo stops flashing. I use it daily so have never left the battery at full charge for any length of time. Regularly balancing the battery must be good thing right?
You should leave it until the logo goes out altogether to balance.

I always charge on a 7kw pod point public charger and most of the times I disconnect it it's still balancing after the charge.
Disconnecting it whilst it's balancing is fine. The car will tell you to slow charge if it needs to be balanced.

I usually use rapid chargers, and if it's quiet, I'll usually let it go for the full charge. Every few weeks, I'll get a train into work, and I'll hook it up to a 7kW to let it do its thing.

The worst things you can do to a lithium battery pack in " regular" use are run them flat or charge them right up, then leave them for extended periods (weeks/months/lockdowns). Avoid doing either of those, and it'll last a decent time without issues.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom