Battery fault

Grandad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have only had the car for two years and a fault has appeared on the battery. I was getting messages saying do not park for 3 or more days. However this morning it was as dead as a dodo. I called the RAC you and they said I have a faulty battery. Is this covered as part of the warranty?
However I thought it would last longer than this. Can’t even user the charger when this happens.

Not covered by warranty and by the sound of it your low mileage driver ( see post stick in Italy) will explain all.

Getting fed up with this car. Got it started all sorts of faults came up. Took it for a drive and now saying engine fault.

I know practically nothing about cars, so this may seem a stupid question, is the car safe to drive when this engine fault appears. I am not even sure if any of the safety features are working either. I deliberately crossed a white line without indicating and nothing happened.

I know practically nothing about cars, so this may seem a stupid question, is the car safe to drive when this engine fault appears. I am not even sure if any of the safety features are working either. I deliberately crossed a white line without indicating and nothing happened.
Do you have the manual?

Page numbers below are for this years UK manual, which you can download from
My MG | MG Motor UK

There's two things it mentions need to be re-initialised after the battery is disconnected (or dies): the power steering (EPS) p62, and the "Stability Control / Traction Control" pp 194 - 195.

Also possibly the sunroof and sunshade, if you have those, p76 in the UK manual.

Regarding your white line test, the lane-assist stuff doesn't start working until you hit, well, 60 km/h where I am... umm... p 226 in your manual: 37mph, and will keep active until you drop below 33mph.

If the engine warning light is still on, that's probably a service booking.

Is the car okay to drive in electric only mode with this fault
Sorry, I really have no expertise in this - no engineering background, just a new owner with some hobby electronics.

If it shows an engine fault, I'd be booking a service and asking their advice on how to get it to them. Or them to it.

Best of luck!

Hi
I put the car on a top up charge to 85%. Started the car and the engine fault no longer shows.

The 12v battery was so low need to be charged it you not use every day would charge the 12v charger at least every other month. Charging the HV battery will not charge the 12v one this is only done when the car is in ready mode driving it a round.

This brought memories of my fun with Toyota hybrids, as the 12 volt battery wanes and needs replacing, all is well as long as the car keeps moving. Leave it for a day or two and it will not go.
I had one of these jump start batteries and could start it with a fiddle. You must not, with the Toyota, connect straight to the battery, but to a special point under the bonnet. They don't have normal car batteries, I think the MG does. But don't take my word for it.

I have only had the car for two years and a fault has appeared on the battery. I was getting messages saying do not park for 3 or more days. However this morning it was as dead as a dodo. I called the RAC you and they said I have a faulty battery. Is this covered as part of the warranty?
However I thought it would last longer than this. Can’t even user the charger when this happens.
No according to the MG dealer in Southampton. I had a flat battery twice in a new ZS in 2 1/2 years. Now I changed my battery and only after 10 days the “Radio Module Disconnected” came on the screen. I had the same message twice with the original/previous battery before going flat. Therefore there is a manufacturers’ fault somewhere (short circuit or not being properly charged). Dealers were very unhelpful

Had the service today. Just over 12 months old and the battery needs replacing. The car is safe and driveable. It just needs changing as its not in full health. Its also just out of warranty by a a few days. However the car was in for service within the 12 months, last week, but they messed up and could not get it done on the booked in day (booked about a month prior) . The next available slot was a week later (today) and just over 12 months old. They are enquiring if they can still get it done under warranty as it was their fault the service was not done within the 12 months.

Had to get a new battery tonight. Car was dead this morning. What a carry on to get the door open to get the boot open to get to the battery. I had Halfords come to the house to fit the battery. Hopefully that is an end to this issue.

Had to get a new battery tonight. Car was dead this morning. What a carry on to get the door open to get the boot open to get to the battery. I had Halfords come to the house to fit the battery. Hopefully that is an end to this issue.
Don’t count on that. I have my ZS EV 2 1/2 years and have changed the 12v battery twice!!
The “Radio Module Disconnected” sign came up only about 10 days after installing the 2nd new battery ie same sign as with the first battery before it went completely flat. The Dealers extremely unhelpful. Definitely there is something wrong. MG should have called in all cars for this issue.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom