Battery Fault

Davidscott001

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have had my MG Phev for just over 2 months and had two instances where a Battery Fault light has come up when travelling in EV on the motorway. The first time it happened I lost all remaining charge and went into limp mode. Then when I stopped it would not start so tow off the motorway. MG found Nothing wrong with the car and after using it for a week after the Garage had looked at it the same fault symbol came up. This time the remaining charge remained and even though the car went into limp mode after a while it recovered by itself. I figure that it may be overheat of the battery due to speed of travel but wanted to know if anyone else had experience of this and if they have any solutions to avoid. I now travel at 65-70mph on the motorway and seams OK.

I am close to 8k miles and not experienced battery fault so far. I normally tend to use local roads than travel on A roads as I can get better efficiency / range. Just drove home from Tennis Club, 8 miles on 30 mph roads rather than using A10 - 28.7 kWh /100 miles. Motorway usage is mostly on Auto mode.

Mine just dropped out again today whilst overtaking and caused me to slow the flow of traffic to get into the slow lane. I had three passengers so wonder if weight in vehicle caused an over load over heat for the EV to drop and the car to go into limp mode ? It's happing too regularly for it not to be some sort of fault. Have email MG but would like direct contact to discuss the issue with. Any ideas ?

Yes i have had the issue when trying to maintain 70 -75 mph going up a long step hill on a dual carriage way, car went in to limp mode and pulled over and turned off and on all ok again. Im guessing its because my foot was flat to floor and there is exessive battery drain trying to keep the speed up and it causes to software to see it as a battery fault.

Yes i have had the issue when trying to maintain 70 -75 mph going up a long step hill on a dual carriage way, car went in to limp mode and pulled over and turned off and on all ok again. Im guessing its because my foot was flat to floor and there is exessive battery drain trying to keep the speed up and it causes to software to see it as a battery fault.

Yes I suspect the electric motor is only really capable of doing 65 to 70mph or 8000rpm when you ask more of it the battery fault happens. I tested this theory and sure enough it happened again to me.

I had an issue driving back from North in Auto mode + ACC. I went to overtake a truck and realised the car was total unresponsive. Pulled over and restarted it. Drove off without second thought

Had a similar issue on Megan Scenic 12 years or so ago. On that instance even the power steering gave up. The car in that instance was fully loaded

I had an issue driving back from North in Auto mode + ACC. I went to overtake a truck and realised the car was total unresponsive. Pulled over and restarted it. Drove off without second thought

Had a similar issue on Megan Scenic 12 years or so ago. On that instance even the power steering gave up. The car in that instance was fully loaded
We’ve had ours for 6 months and are generally very happy. The fuel consumption is not quite as advertised although excellent when compared with most cars. ACC makes a difference as does heating. Without them on we achieve 60 km. The car seems to be happier to stay in EV mode around the city when it is below 90%. Brent.

I have had my MG Phev for just over 2 months and had two instances where a Battery Fault light has come up when travelling in EV on the motorway. The first time it happened I lost all remaining charge and went into limp mode. Then when I stopped it would not start so tow off the motorway. MG found Nothing wrong with the car and after using it for a week after the Garage had looked at it the same fault symbol came up. This time the remaining charge remained and even though the car went into limp mode after a while it recovered by itself. I figure that it may be overheat of the battery due to speed of travel but wanted to know if anyone else had experience of this and if they have any solutions to avoid. I now travel at 65-70mph on the motorway and seams OK.
Sorry for responding this late. I had the same as you but ended up needing a completely new battery. Have a look at the older posts for more details. Take it back to the dealer straight away to deal with as it is a safety issue.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom