Battery health going down!

Gooose

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just a post on what people think of my battery health, Just had my 2nd service and the state of charge was 79% and state of health 84% this is with 14k on the clock.

TBH I’m pretty disappointed.

Just a post on what people think of my battery health, Just had my 2nd service and the state of charge was 79% and state of health 84% this is with 14k on the clock.

there are few threads with lot of different posts on SoH compared to age and mileage, try the search button 🔍 Search. Also, there are suggestions as to what could be done to improve it and warranty options...

That does seem poor for 14k.
Do you DC rapid charge a lot and how often do you do an AC battery balance?

Did you verify the SOH independently or was this as advised by the dealer? They have been known to get it wrong.

Are you putting the car back on charge, after nearly every use by any chance ?.
Or are you charging back up to 80% after first running down the battery to about 20%.
If you zero both of your mileage trips, then charge up to 80% - what is your estimated range now on the GOM ?.
I now see a regular prediction of around 208 - 209 miles of range in milder weather conditions.
For the first 18 months this predicted range was 211 - 212 miles.
We have a March 2022 Trophy LR and has covered almost 18,000 miles.
It it always charged at home and is just over two years old.
At the time of its recent two year service, the battery health was reported as 99% which I have seen on a screen print out taken while the car was connected to the diagnostic computer.
The VIN number of our car was clearly displayed on that print out.
Given the slight reduction in the predicted range now, I think the 99% SOH reported by the dealer to be pretty accurate.
A small amount of battery degradation is evident.
Our previous Gen1 ZS EV after similar age and milage reported only 92% SOH.

Are you putting the car back on charge, after nearly every use by any chance ?.
Or are you charging back up to 80% after first running down the battery to about 20%.
If you zero both of your mileage trips, then charge up to 80% - what is your estimated range now on the GOM ?.
I now see a regular prediction of around 208 - 209 miles of range in milder weather conditions.
For the first 18 months this predicted range was 211 - 212 miles.
We have a March 2022 Trophy LR and has covered almost 18,000 miles.
It it always charged at home and is just over two years old.
At the time of its recent two year service, the battery health was reported as 99% which I have seen on a screen print out taken while the car was connected to the diagnostic computer.
The VIN number of our car was clearly displayed on that print out.
Given the slight reduction in the predicted range now, I think the 99% SOH reported by the dealer to be pretty accurate.
A small amount of battery degradation is evident.
Our previous Gen1 ZS EV after similar age and milage reported only 92% SOH.
No, generally drive it down to 20/30% then charge to 80%, I’ll reset the mileage today, it was saying though about 120mile left on 50% so that’s 240 for a total with an average of 3.9k/mile

If you reset the trips prior to your next charge to 80% then compare your predicted range on start up, from what I am seeing.
This will be in the default mode of normal and level 3 Regen.
Not in ECO !.
Oh …… Ensure you have the HVAC and any 12 volt items turned off !.
What predicted range are you seeing now ?.

about 120mile left on 50% so that’s 240 for a total with an average of 3.9k/mile

This obviously depends on whether it's in ECO or another drive mode and on what the car thinks is happening at the moment. My standard range 2022 would have anything between 70 and 90 miles on 50% (from memory) but I learned not to worry too much, just top up when I'm on 25% and get on with it.
Worst case scenario, you have 7 years warranty on the battery and if it goes terribly wrong, trade it in for another second-hand or a new one, that's what I'm planning to do ...

Three days would be 60% so then add 60% on the third night.
Hmmmm. Didn't know that. I have access to cheap electricity rates for a 4 hour window each night so had hoped to charge it every night in that window - with the potential to get up to 24/26kw in during the 4 hours.
Doing 60% once every 3 nights will change my running costs and not in a good wayobviously as I would have to go outside the 4 hour window. (And actually, are the percentages calculated from the 72.5kw total or the 68.3kw useable - the switch between % and actual kw is sometimes confusing)

Hmmmm. Didn't know that. I have access to cheap electricity rates for a 4 hour window each night so had hoped to charge it every night in that window - with the potential to get up to 24/26kw in during the 4 hours.
Doing 60% once every 3 nights will change my running costs and not in a good wayobviously as I would have to go outside the 4 hour window. (And actually, are the percentages calculated from the 72.5kw total or the 68.3kw useable - the switch between % and actual kw is sometimes confusing)
don't worry too much, this battery worry takes over people's lives... if you only use about 20%, just add whatever you want to add in those 4 hours. keep it between 55% - 80% topping up whenever you want until you need to go on a longer drive when you should ideally top up to 100% even if it is more expensive - still cheaper than public chargers ...

This is true, but the number of charging sessions is also taken into account with regards to battery health, especially on a NMC at least.
I would avoid putting the car on charge repeatedly after every single short trip just so the battery is charged to 80% SOC is practice I witnessed by friends who have a EV and a small milage user profile.
There car appears to be plugged in constantly - why ?.
They pop to the shops for about 1 hour and then put the car back on charge again !.
Maybe just because it’s a least car I guess ?.

This is true, but the number of charging sessions is also taken into account with regards to battery health, especially on a NMC at least.
I would avoid putting the car on charge repeatedly after every single short trip just so the battery is charged to 80% SOC is practice I witnessed by friends who have a EV and a small milage user profile.
There car appears to be plugged in constantly - why ?.
They pop to the shops for about 1 hour and then put the car back on charge again !.
Maybe just because it’s a least car I guess ?.
your neighbours might have one of those "intelligent" / "keep me plugged in for a dirt cheap tariff" things? seen recently that BG Hive could be as little as 4p/kW that way ...

for the past month that I have my ZS, I charge once or twice a week on a 3-pin charger ... 🙂. mainly short local drives with occasional motorway ...

Grabbing a charge on a cheap rate is what it’s all about and that great.
The issue I am referring too is the constant topping up of the battery, when only a few miles has been covered and why ?.
Not really good practice for long term battery health, if you intend to keep the car for a while.

Grabbing a charge on a cheap rate is what it’s all about and that great.
The issue I am referring too is the constant topping up of the battery, when only a few miles has been covered and why ?.
Not really good practice for long term battery health, if you intend to keep the car for a while.
Yes, valid point. Here is something I came across and yes it mentions what you say

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom