Battery Heater, how does it work?

HansG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

As i live in Sweden and Winter is coming i am wondering if anyone has any useful information about the battery heater?

I've Read that it's only for the Scandinavian market but that it's optional for other markets and now i hope someone can shed some light on how it works?

I have tried to find information and think i remember something about it's only working below 5° and between like 20-50% SoC?

And how can i see when it's working? Only by reading the Amps?

Any other tips or information, please share!

battery heater sounds like a great option to have and might be useful to precondition the battery for fast charging. following this thread :)

battery heater sounds like a great option to have and might be useful to precondition the battery for fast charging. following this thread :)
I hope so :) I have it on my ZS EV but i have no clue how it works. Avsked my dealer before i picked it up and they said it wasnt included, but flicking throu the settings i found out it was there. So No hope asking them about it..

as for seeing how it works, with an OBD dongle and an app like Torque Pro you can monitor the temperature of the battery

there was an earlier thread on this:

Hi,

As i live in Sweden and Winter is coming i am wondering if anyone has any useful information about the battery heater?

I've Read that it's only for the Scandinavian market but that it's optional for other markets and now i hope someone can shed some light on how it works?

I have tried to find information and think i remember something about it's only working below 5° and between like 20-50% SoC?

And how can i see when it's working? Only by reading the Amps?

Any other tips or information, please share!
From what I have been told by an 'Authority' on these things:

The battery SOC has to be between 20% and 55% The minimum cell teperature has to be below 10°C.
The battery coolant teperature has to be below 35°C.
It turns off as soon as the minimum cell teperature reaches 25°C
You would expect to see somewhere in the region of a 20A current draw when fully active.
The automatic function still operates when plugged in to a DC rapid charger even if the heater function is turned off in the infotainment.

From what I have been told by an 'Authority' on these things:

The battery SOC has to be between 20% and 55% The minimum cell teperature has to be below 10°C.
The battery coolant teperature has to be below 35°C.
It turns off as soon as the minimum cell teperature reaches 25°C
You would expect to see somewhere in the region of a 20A current draw when fully active.
The automatic function still operates when plugged in to a DC rapid charger even if the heater function is turned off in the infotainment.
Superb! Thank you :)
I'll put this to the test soon.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom