Battery - how low have you gone?

stevegus

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I watched a video from carwow today where they did a range test of 6 cars. The MG was not one of them.

They purposely ran the cars to 0% battery. And in every case the car allowed, at ever restricted speed, another 10 miles or so at 0%.

Has anyone had their car get that critical to discover the “hidden” emergency range?

Comments about not a good idea for the battery excepted - this could be useful “oh crap” scenario information

28 Kilometres remaining range while stuck in a traffic jam on the Autobahn, no exits for the next 20 Kilometres. Crawled past a No Entry service exit and pulled off. There was a fast charger 500 meters from the service exit with a restaurant. Had a lovely meal and 90% charge.

8% here too after a long trip home.
IMG_20211107_171219.jpg

I took it down to 5% i think or lower and entered limp home mode going to work where i can charge cheaper than at home. It was fine apart from slowing down on the motorway and a light on the dash. Will try not to go that low again though didn't like the feeling.

I think my lowest was 3 or 4%!

This was not intentional at all; I had completed a longish (c.180 miles) journey the previous day and when I got home I plugged it in to charge, SoC was reading c. 7%. Unfortunately, for reasons I have never discovered (and the problem has never recurred since) the charge failed and when, next morning I came to use the car for a shortish (c.10 miles return journey) it was still at c. 7%. There was no time to even add a very brief boost so, with considerable trepidation, I travelled to my destination and was able to return later, still with a little battery power left.

I think my overall emotion was "Never again"!

Time of year counts as well... winter says 3 to 3.3, summer 3.6 to 4, depending on road conditions and so on... I've seen 5.0's in the warm weather this week...
Are you quoting m/kWh?
I go by 100% battery does 200 miles so 2 miles is 1% battery used.
I had 8% battery left that said I had 14 miles.

My 5 standard can do 220 easily in Summer but I go with the 2 miles per 1% as well, just makes it easier to calculate remaining range. The lowest I've gone is about 8% at the end of a long trip, done that a few times now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom