battery isolator .

You should be able to, the mechanical key operates the mechanical lock on the driver's door.
Best way to check is to see if you can lock the door with the mechanical (emergency) key when the battery is disconnected, it only locks the drivers door, same as it will only unlock the drivers door.

I note that some EVs (I forget which, possibly Leafs or IMiEVs) do strange things if they don't get 12V power for extended periods (I think it's months). I think that they needed codes cleared or other intervention before they could be used again. It's possibly worth searching through the PDF owner's manual to see if there is a warning about extended disconnection.

We've had personal computers in our lives for 30+ years and we still haven't reached a stage where switching off then on again isn't a recommended solution to all sorts of misbehaviour!

I did notice that our ZS has a 63Ah rated SAIC branded 12v battery. However the battery tray has the ability to take a physically bigger battery as there are two battery clamp locations with pre-tapped holes in the battery platform.

Last edited:
If you spend a lot of time sitting doing paperwork or making calls, I would say definitely remember to be in READY mode on the dash.

If you are worried about draining the 12v battery a greater capacity would buy you more time without worrying if the car will start the main HV contactor after a short holiday away for example.

I have considered a battery isolator too but most modern cars do flag up a long list of often random OBD errors that might confuse either the dealer or the car when the battery is disconnected, not sure with the ZSEV.

Do you think there's a need for a bigger battery?
Not if used correctly, in fact 63Ah is a bit over engineered IMO.
My 2010 Prius had a 32Ah and my 2016 a 45Ah. Used for the same purpose, just to power up the ECUs and to throw the HV battery contacts.
I measured the current used to boot up on SWMBO's old 2006 Prius and it was a, less than a second, 30A surge then 10A for about a second then -10A as the charging system kicked in.

I was thinking the same.
If it weren't for the engine start requirement, most ICE cars would have a much smaller battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom