Battery pre heat. What is the advantage?

A warmer battery is supposed to be more energy-efficient. It really depends on length of journeys ... you probably need to be doing at least 30 miles in one go for the energy lost in battery preheating to be recovered by improved efficiency.

Zero unless you live in Nordic countries.

Miles Roberts of Chorley Group and Jake Newis did a test sometime ago on a YouTube video.

Hi, new member here, but have been following for over a year and have had my facelift LR Trophy since January (ex dealer demonstrator). My question - is there any advantage gained from heating the battery before AC charging at home (with a Zappi), in cold weather? I understand how battery heating facilitates DC fast charging (which I rarely do), but how about at home?

Anyone noticed range has reduced now we have colder weather ??
If the temperature goes into single figures my range drops. I get over 4mi/kWh in the summer but yesterday was near 3mi/kWh so a quarter reduction, last winter I reckon I lost a third in range.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment when I plug into a rapid the battery goes into heating mode and restricts the charge to below 50kW. Can you turn on heating on the move so the charge is not throttled?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom