Battery range dropped from 32 to 31 miles?

madmartyr71

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
When I first had my car and fully charged it the battery range would show 32 miles...now when it's fully charged it shows 31 miles.

I only done 2400 miles since I received the car.

When I first had my car and fully charged it the battery range would show 32 miles...now when it's fully charged it shows 31 miles.

Anyway the GOM guesses/calculates the range using how the car has been driven but I wouldn't worry about 1 mile

Last edited:
I’ve done nearly 7k miles in 8 months at least 4k driving in ev mode on short journeys. It always shows 32 miles when charged, do you use granny charger or charge station? If on granny maybe you have not had it plugged in long enough for the full battery balance.

I’ve done nearly 7k miles in 8 months at least 4k driving in ev mode on short journeys. It always shows 32 miles when charged, do you use granny charger or charge station? If on granny maybe you have not had it plugged in long enough for the full battery balance.
Granny charger and always leave it around 81/2 hours

i Have never used a granny charger so not sure if that’s long enough. on a fast charger I can see the current drop after full charge and still pulls lo amps for another half to one hour so 5 1/2 hours total on a balance. This might suggest you need longer on a granny - hopefully someone can answer this?

When the car is charged the granny charger will be flashing two light on and off.

Have you reset the trip odometer/total journey display? It could just be the way the usage is defining the projected range.

Have you reset the trip odometer/total journey display? It could just be the way the usage is defining the projected range.
Tried that and still the same. Phoned dealer and they said leave it on charge for 24hrs to see if it corrects itself!!

The dealer is working on principle that you are. It leaving on charger long enough for balancing to complete. My concern is that it’s stopped charging within your 8 1/2 ours and won’t make a difference. If at all possible I would suggest also using a fast charger which will operate at higher kw rate. I wander if you have a me or who can loan you a type 2 cable to run a fast charge session.

The dealer is working on principle that you are. It leaving on charger long enough for balancing to complete. My concern is that it’s stopped charging within your 8 1/2 ours and won’t make a difference. If at all possible I would suggest also using a fast charger which will operate at higher kw rate. I wander if you have a me or who can loan you a type 2 cable to run a fast charge session.
Both lights were flashing on the granny charger which indicates it's fully charged and again showing 31 miles. Cars due for its first service in September so they can look then unless it drops further.

Attachments

• PXL_20220321_155137070.jpg
    PXL_20220321_155137070.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 164
Mine's similar to yours madmartyr71. The car is 9 months old and has done 8000 miles. Just recently the 100% charged range has started showing 31 miles rather than the original 32 miles. I have been hoping it's not already started battery degradation and thought it might just be a by product of the winter cold weather.

The car is always charged for a 4 hours (Octopus go low rate time) on a home 7KW wallbox. This is ample to fully charge the car, but I have always been confused about this battery balancing thing. Does balancing occur using a 7KW wallbox? I believe the manual says to use the granny charger (slow charger) periodically. This seems a nonsense as the granny charger is supposed to really be for 'emergency' use. I'm assuming battery balancing is the same as the 'equalisation charging' on page 172 of the owners manual. By the way, I've not had any message in the display requesting an equalisation charge.

Does anyone have ant real information on the battery balancing requirement and how it's carried out and what it actually achieves? Any info would be appreciated.

I charge my car fully every night and this winter range displayed has dropped to 31 miles. I’m close to 10k miles since I picked it up in June 2021

Mine is charging to 100% 32 miles but I seem to be dropping down to
31 miles quicker and quicker barely got off the drive this morning and it
was down 31 miles.

How long now before it drops from 31 to 30 miles?
Yesterday I done just over a mile before it dropped to 30 miles. In totally I done around 27 to 28 miles before battery dropped to 3% but maybe 20 to 22 of those miles were dual carriageway way doing 60 to 70 mph.

Keep in mind it could be the difference between 31.9 and 32.1 miles. Mine does it occasionally, but it doesn't affect performance.

When charged and states 32 miles left to drive, go 100 yards and there is 31 miles and 1660yards, less than 32 mls, so meter drops quick for for first change.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom