Battery storage?

Alun26

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve had a quote through my council for a battery storage system and they recommended a 6kW system, is this a ideal size for a family of 4 and the cost is just over£5k ?

Last edited:
Its largely going to depend on your usage pattern and circumstances. We use Octopus Go so load shift a lot of our usage to the evening period. I worked out that our daily use outside of the off peak period was around 7-9kWh.

We had solar and a 8.2kWh battery fitted in April this year. The battery element cost just under £5k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at your base load. (mines 0.6kw constant 24/7) then work out how much battery you need to run that on battery between 4pm and 8am (winter). That's where your bulk of capital expense is repaid.

Your usage above and beyond the base load should, in theory, be either picked up by excess solar or spare battery capacity during the longer days in Spring Summer and Autumn.

You need to either charge the battery at off-peak via grid or produce enough electricity via solar to charge it and power the base load at the same time. Keep in mind you need an inverter that matches that rate or a solid enough main fuse to support ramming it in during the 4 hour cheap window.

As the cost of electricity climbs (I don't for one minute think we'll ever see it drop down significantly again) the rate of return on your investment increases. Projections to completely pay off the investment may be 10 years to start with, but actually may end up lower, and after that point you're not at net zero because you're now making savings every month thereafter.

I’ve had a quote through my council for a battery storage system and they recommended a 6kW system, is this a ideal size for a family of 4 and the cost is just over£5k ?
Sounds quite expensive for storage alone. What equipment are they recommending, is the 6kWh 100% capacity in which case what depth of discharge is being used, and what's the maximum charge/discharge rate?

Have a look at your energy use possibly on an app to see your back ground use and then see what your daily use is. Mine is about 10kWh so I am getting two 5.2kWh batteries.

Have a look at your energy use possibly on an app to see your back ground use and then see what your daily use is. Mine is about 10kWh so I am getting two 5.2kWh batteries.
Can you deplete 10.4 kWh of batteries that far without detriment?

During the day the batteries will be charging and the house will use solar, hopefully

Can you deplete 10.4 kWh of batteries that far without detriment?
The current generation of batteries from PylonTech allow 95% DoD, so in theory you can get close to that. We have 2 x US5000C which is 9.6kWh and we take 9.0kWh out of them on our daily cycle. They have a seven/ten year 6,000 cycle guarantee so we'll see how they hold up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom