Battery voltage down to 11.4

Keith Harris

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a faulty battery on my MG5 and we are 70 miles from home on a 4 day break. We have been in the Bury St Edmunds MG dealership all day, phoned my local dealer (Crayford & Abbs) at Bodham spoke to Mark in service (very good) but obviously nothing he can do till I get it back. So looks like we are coming home early, let’s hope we make it back ( well we will but could be on the back of the AA broom wagon)
ah well nobody’s died and it’s a very first world problem. Wish me luck guys. Still love the car..we’re just not speaking at the moment 🤨

Keith - Why can't the dealer you are at now, install a new battery ??????.
They should not let you continue without replacing the battery.
If they don't have a battery to install, ring the AA cover you have and they will install a new battery.
Just let them know you need a new battery when you ring them.

Keith - Why can't the dealer you are at now, install a new battery ??????.
They should not let you continue without replacing the battery.
If they don't have a battery to install, ring the AA cover you have and they will install a new battery.
Just let them know you need a new battery when you ring them.
Hi, the message on the dash is dcdc fault so I presume the problem isn’t the battery but the fault that’s causing it , so replacing the battery is not the answer I guess.

Hi, the message on the dash is dcdc fault so I presume the problem isn’t the battery but the fault that’s causing it , so replacing the battery is not the answer I guess.
Sorry Keith, I got the impression from your opening line in your post, that the holiday location dealer had diagnosed a fault battery ?.

Sorry Keith, I got the impression from your opening line in your post, that the holiday location dealer had diagnosed a fault battery ?.
If only, no something more sinister I’m afraid. I will post when I get home and we know more

If only, no something more sinister I’m afraid. I will post when I get home and we know more
Good luck and please keep us informed on your return.
Are they 100% sure the 12 volt battery has not just collapsed ?.
There have been reported incidence of 12 volt battery failures on ZS EV & MG5.

If the DC-DC Converter itself is faulty I imagine the dealer must replace the whole box and they won't be available on the shelf.

Good luck and please keep us informed on your return.
Are they 100% sure the 12 volt battery has not just collapsed ?.
There have been reported incidence of 12 volt battery failures on ZS EV & MG5.
Yea I’ve seen that to, they ran all the diagnostic tests and couldn’t conclude anything so I don’t know. I’m sure my dealer will get to the bottom of it. I will keep you informed thanks

Well , my dealer (Cryford and Abbs , Bodham) kindly agreed to meet me half way with a replacement car, about 35 miles away , but the car died completely about 20 miles short , the battery volts dropped slowly to 10 then just disappeared losing all power and coasting to a stop. Just managed to squeeze into someone’s private driveway on a very busy A140 . Hazards on which also died after about 10 minutes, so some quite irate motorists and waggon drivers after that as I was sticking out a little into the road, I of course stayed well clear. Phoned Mark again at C&A who then got in touch with Jacob (young apprentice salesman) to continue past the arranged meeting place to find me. After about 40 minutes Jacob rolled up in the new MG5 long range, closely followed by Mark himself with a new battery to put in my car to drive back to the garage.
I have been extremely impressed by the service from the garage nothing was to much trouble and a wonderful sunny attitude by both of them.
so we now can continue our little break and the car is ours till Monday when I will let you know the fate of mine.
life of an ev driver eh, never a dull moment

Sounds like a dead DC/DC charger. Hopefully there's a spare somewhere in the country!

Well , my dealer (Cryford and Abbs , Bodham) kindly agreed to meet me half way with a replacement car, about 35 miles away , but the car died completely about 20 miles short , the battery volts dropped slowly to 10 then just disappeared losing all power and coasting to a stop. Just managed to squeeze into someone’s private driveway on a very busy A140 . Hazards on which also died after about 10 minutes, so some quite irate motorists and waggon drivers after that as I was sticking out a little into the road, I of course stayed well clear. Phoned Mark again at C&A who then got in touch with Jacob (young apprentice salesman) to continue past the arranged meeting place to find me. After about 40 minutes Jacob rolled up in the new MG5 long range, closely followed by Mark himself with a new battery to put in my car to drive back to the garage.
I have been extremely impressed by the service from the garage nothing was to much trouble and a wonderful sunny attitude by both of them.
so we now can continue our little break and the car is ours till Monday when I will let you know the fate of mine.
life of an ev driver eh, never a dull moment
Nice to hear of a dealer with great customer service !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom