Battery Warranty Details Australia?

Peter WA

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm very seriously considering to place an order for a ZS EV in the next few days.

The only thing holding me back is the lack of detail about the battery warranty. Big advertising: 8 years, 160k km, ok. But when is a battery deemed faulty? The horror stories I read from early Nissan Leaf owners make sure I don't want to rely on a reasonable response by a dealer/manufacturer. I'd like some objective criteria spelled out.

The UK warranty conditions I found online give a 70% capacity threshold (albeit only for 80k miles there). So far I have failed to get a similar figure for Australia. The sales rep didn't know the answer to this question, like so many others. He promised to find out, but never got back to me. Chat on the website didn't answer any questions, just collected contact info and I assume passed it back on to the local dealer to answer. Still no reply.

Anyone who already owns one in Australia: Are the warranty conditions spelled out in the owner's manual or any other documents you received?

Seeing that no one has replied, a bit of an update: I pressed my dealer very hard on this issue. The local guys in WA got in contact with someone over East who should know (I think service manager for Australia). Turns out they didn't know either.

It appears I am the first customer in Australia who insists on having this question answered before buying. Wow! How can anyone buy an EV without asking that?

MG Australia agree that it is an important point to know when a battery is deemed faulty under warranty. If a customer comes in and complains, the service centre has to be able to tell the customer whether it is accepted as a warranty case or not.

The issue has been escalated higher up, I got the impression back to China. I should get an update early next week. Let's hope the best. After a second test drive, this time including highway, I really would like to buy one...

Possibly the only reason that nobody replied is that you may be the only 1 in this forum thinking about getting an MG in Oz. good luck getting a reply and tell us what happens.

Possibly the only reason that nobody replied is that you may be the only 1 in this forum thinking about getting an MG in Oz. good luck getting a reply and tell us what happens.right

Not quite the only one, but from what I glean, after talking to 2 different sales reps, they probably only just need to use the second hand to count their EV sales at that Dealership (and not for a long time yet if they count in binary). They might not have delivered any to customers yet, seeing they started selling in November and quote lead times of 3 to 4 months from order to delivery.

Still, there are other dealers in bigger cities in this country. And I recall someone in these forums mentioned Melbourne and someone else Brisbane.

Big shame if sales are really so slow. Sure, the range is not fantastic, but since most families have multiple cars, one of them could easily be this one without making the family miss out on holiday trips.

And so many houses have large PV systems with no feed-in-tariffs any more. Home charging for next to nothing from completely green electricity would be an option for most stay-at-home moms in this country. Oh well, people will wise up over time, has happened with PV will happen with EVs.

It's not the brand by the way that limits sales: without giving actual sales numbers, MG claim that the ICE ZS is the best selling vehicle in its category now.

Thanks @keentoknowmore . We are in Victoria and this did concern me prior to purchase given our harsh road and weather conditions here in Aus. I found this on a UK MGZS EV Warranty statement;

MGZS EV Lithium Ion Battery
During a capacity check at an Authorised MG Repairer if it is determined that the lithium-ion high voltage battery has suffered a capacity drop below 70% of the original value at delivery of your new MGZS EV, the segment below 70% will be deemed excessive loss. Where possible the excessive loss portion will be repaired, if un-repairable the lithium-ion high voltage battery will be replaced with either a new or a remanufactured battery.

Lets see what your queries will bring, thanks in advance

Seeing that no one has replied, a bit of an update: I pressed my dealer very hard on this issue. The local guys in WA got in contact with someone over East who should know (I think service manager for Australia). Turns out they didn't know either.

It appears I am the first customer in Australia who insists on having this question answered before buying. Wow! How can anyone buy an EV without asking that?

MG Australia agree that it is an important point to know when a battery is deemed faulty under warranty. If a customer comes in and complains, the service centre has to be able to tell the customer whether it is accepted as a warranty case or not.

The issue has been escalated higher up, I got the impression back to China. I should get an update early next week. Let's hope the best. After a second test drive, this time including highway, I really would like to buy one...
Hi
"The sales rep didn't know the answer to this question, like so many others. He promised to find out, but never got back to me"
Its much the same here in the UK some are on the ball others clueless. and as for MG themselves? Well you decide on that one.

Good luck with your decision what ever you buy. Is the MG 5 on sale?

Hi @Richie The MG 5 isn't on sale here in Australia yet. Nice looking saloon
We only get the estate version which is a little improved Chinese one. The saloon as you say is nice looking and would I have gone for that if it had been available. Much more modern looking and less like a VW Passat Estate. Waiting for their E-Motion sports car to be released and to see what that comes with and price of course.

If its of any value..........

My first EV was a little Citroen Zero.

It was registered in 2011, and had a manufacturers claimed range of 93 miles.

I sold it last year, 2020, and the effective range in winter was 40 miles, in summer 50 miles.

Bearing in mind that the manufacturers claimed mileage is optimistic, the battery was about 50% after 9 years.

But you still have to cling onto the fact that the car is cheap to run re fule and tax and servicing. AND you are helping to save the planet, as long as your power supplier gets it power from sun and solar.

So realistically, your EV should be good to go for 5 years +, and at 72 y/o, its provably gonna last me out........:)

Thanks @keentoknowmore . We are in Victoria and this did concern me prior to purchase given our harsh road and weather conditions here in Aus. I found this on a UK MGZS EV Warranty statement;

MGZS EV Lithium Ion Battery
During a capacity check at an Authorised MG Repairer if it is determined that the lithium-ion high voltage battery has suffered a capacity drop below 70% of the original value at delivery of your new MGZS EV, the segment below 70% will be deemed excessive loss. Where possible the excessive loss portion will be repaired, if un-repairable the lithium-ion high voltage battery will be replaced with either a new or a remanufactured battery.

Lets see what your queries will bring, thanks in advance

Yes, that's what I had seen too. I hope they will give us the same here in writing at some point.

70% seems to be industry standard, Tesla guarantees it, VW too for the id.3, even current Nissan Leafs have some specifics that work out approximately the same (less than 9 out of 12 bars is considered faulty).

I purchase my car in Brisbane, Queensland. The owners manual has this statement in regard to Warranty:
To access a detailed parts and warranty statement please see the appropriate countries' MG website.
Below is a link to the Australian owners warranty info.

Possibly the only reason that nobody replied is that you may be the only 1 in this forum thinking about getting an MG in Oz. good luck getting a reply and tell us what happens.
Well Ross the first 100 orders for the MG EV for its launch ( November 2020) were filled within a month here in Australia and it has become the fastest selling EV sitting behind the Tesla models. Hopefully the service department at Peter WA dealership can answer his concerns about battery degradation and the warranty.

C&P from MG website with specific link for anyone else wanting to know.....(4th last item on the FAQ list)

LINK > MG ZS EV | MG Motor Australia

MG Motor Australia | Value Since 1924

IS THE MG ZS EV BATTERY COVERED UNDER THE MG 8 YEAR WARRANTY?

Yes, the battery is covered under the MG 8 year warranty.

Lithium Ion High Voltage Battery
During a capacity check at an Authorised MG Repairer if it is determined that the lithium-ion high voltage battery has suffered a capacity drop below 70% of the original value at delivery of your new MG Electric/Hybrid Vehicle, the segment below 70% will be deemed excessive loss. Where possible the excessive loss portion will be repaired, if un-repairable the lithium-ion high voltage battery will be replaced with either a new or a remanufactured battery.

I read the posting about sales in Australia. We bought an MG ZS EV as our first commitment to using electric cars. Our purchase was made in March 2021 and we live in South East Queensland on the NSW border (Currumbin Valley). The car is performing very well and although I am still not clear on how best to balance the batteries to achieve full range, it's a delight to drive and use. It also earns high praise from any one that comes for a ride to try out an EV and see the MG offering. Value for money against Tesla and Hyundai was very obvious to us but as importantly the car seemed to be a better/more practical design to suit our needs. The dealers at Tweed MG were very helpful and are learning about their new range as fast we can too. I do believe that MG have the right strategy and will watch their plans for new models this year and next.

I read the posting about sales in Australia. We bought an MG ZS EV as our first commitment to using electric cars. Our purchase was made in March 2021 and we live in South East Queensland on the NSW border (Currumbin Valley). The car is performing very well and although I am still not clear on how best to balance the batteries to achieve full range,
It's easy to balance. The MG badge, where you plug in to charge has lots of dots as background and these pulse on/off while the car is charging. Once fully charged leave it pugged in and the dots stay on, illuminated, until balancing is complete, at which time they disappear.
They are not particularly bright so if in sunlight you may need to look carefully and the pulsing is quite slow.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom