BBC Panorama Are We Ready For EV's

I couldn’t get over the fact he charged it loads of times but still expected it to work instantly, most of us know you plug it in wait for the charger to talk to the car and hopefully it works , he had no patience what so ever !

I thought it was 40% with no ability to charge at their own house, but I honestly don't know. "Up to 60%" sounds a bit high, though I suppose 40% is technically "up to 60%"!
Currently 26-30% of UK households have to use off street parking (I think the UK government accept 26% as being the figure they use).

45% of UK householders have 1 car
33% have 2 or more cars and
22% have no car.

There were 19.4 million households in the UK in 2022. Thats a lot of cars.

Currently there are 780,000 BEVs and 500,000 Plug in hybrids. Thats a lot of EVs.

It should be possible to work out the current number of Evs that need on street charging, but my mind is so frazzled after finding these figures and sources lets just say a lot..........

sources
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/national-travel-survey-2021/national-travel-survey-2021-household-car-availability-and-trends-in-car-trips#:~:text=Household%20car%20access,-Chart%207%3A%20Percentage&text=In%201985%20to%201987%2C%20there,every%2010%20households%20in%20England
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families#:~:text=Families%20and%20households%20in%20the%20UK%3A%202022&text=In%202022%2C%20there%20were%2019.4,in%20the%20decade%20since%202012
How many electric vehicles are there in the UK - EV market statistics 2023.

I just think about all these Glasgow streets lined with tenement flats. And all the roads in many cities lined with terraced houses. Not to mention the high-rise flats.

It's not evenly spread. In some places a high percentage of properties have driveways of some sort, while in other places there's a huge concentration of dwellings with nothing. They can't just abandon the high-density urban housing (which we're all told is so desirable because it's far more ecologically efficient than suburbia with its gardens and driveways), or leave it to the self-interested free market which will simply cherry-pick the easy bits.

I just think about all these Glasgow streets lined with tenement flats. And all the roads in many cities lined with terraced houses. Not to mention the high-rise flats.

It's not evenly spread. In some places a high percentage of properties have driveways of some sort, while in other places there's a huge concentration of dwellings with nothing. They can't just abandon the high-density urban housing (which we're all told is so desirable because it's far more ecologically efficient than suburbia with its gardens and driveways), or leave it to the self-interested free market which will simply cherry-pick the easy bits.
I agree. We need to be like Norway. All apartments / flat's with specific parking per apartment / flat should have power supplies to those parking spots. The payment for an actual installation of a charge point to those power supplies should then be borne by the owners.

Where are these parking spaces going to go? There aren't enough parking spaces for the cars people own at the moment.

I have a friend who lives in a residential street in Edinburgh, fairly central. The pavements of these streets are lined with parking spaces which are labelled "resident permit holders only". Parking there to visit a nearby shop is a nightmare, because the very few non-residents spaces are in heavy demand. You'd think that the residents themselves would be OK though? Not a bit of it. My friend insists on leaving to go home by 6.30 at the latest, because he says that if he gets there after seven he usually can't find a space, despite having paid several hundred pounds for a permit.

There has to be a better way.

Where are these parking spaces going to go? There aren't enough parking spaces for the cars people own at the moment.

I have a friend who lives in a residential street in Edinburgh, fairly central. The pavements of these streets are lined with parking spaces which are labelled "resident permit holders only". Parking there to visit a nearby shop is a nightmare, because the very few non-residents spaces are in heavy demand. You'd think that the residents themselves would be OK though? Not a bit of it. My friend insists on leaving to go home by 6.30 at the latest, because he says that if he gets there after seven he usually can't find a space, despite having paid several hundred pounds for a permit.

There has to be a better way.
For those with allocated parking. For the rest there needs to be lampost chargers, pop up pavement chargers (like the guys in Aberdeen designed), public car park chargers etc . But for every one given their own dedicated chargerst that means more public chargers for the rest who don't have one.

Absolutely. The solution is obviously a mix of provisions to meet different circumstances and different needs. I don't think the genie of personal car ownership is going to go back into the bottle any time soon, although some sort of car-pool system like the city bikes schemes might take some of the pressure off.

Japan has a solution to cars out numbering places to park. You have to have a parking space to purchase a car in Japan. The dealer will ask for proof of a parking space, which you either own or rent, and it has to be within a 2km radius from where you live.

Japan has a solution to cars out numbering places to park. You have to have a parking space to purchase a car in Japan. The dealer will ask for proof of a parking space, which you either own or rent, and it has to be within a 2km radius from where you live.
They don't do Motability over there I presume ? :LOL:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom