Be Aware - Wiper Arms!

Someone I know… left the rear wiper running dry for so long that it wore a groove in the rear window…

I washed my MG4 today, its been performing well. Though I'd quite like a way to disable by default the lane departure system as its a pain in the backside.

Anyway back on topic, I went over the car with a pressure washer to get the worst off and then used soap, I lifted the wiper arms as you do when you clean and they interfere with the top of the bonnet so much so that I gauged the paint on the drivers side. I have never seen such a bad design with something so simple on any car. Guess its off to Halfords to get a touch up stick.
Melanie, A very useful post, thank you, just gone and tried the wiper service position and now I know. As others have said many other cars suffer this 'feature' - pedestrian collision rules I'd imagine, our Mini Cooper was just the same.

Good post, the sort I joined this forum for!!

I'm certain you should be able to turn off the Lane Departure system, I know it annoyed the hell out of me on my first two drives, turned something off and it's never returned.

In cold Sweden it's a habit to have wipers poking out so they won't get stuck in ice. I was a good boy and did put them in service position. Next day I was just checking something and hit the Start button...
My bonnet is also scratched!
I can't imagine a car that won't be scratched eventually 😂

I'm also missing 2x1cm bits of paint after washing my MG ZS EV (found thread looking for the paint code!), dealer said I should've read the manual but I honestly think it needs a sticker somewhere to stop someone borrowing the car doing the same thing!

Wiper arms that scratched the rear edge of the bonnet when trying in vain, to lift them up in order to wash the car ?.
Well, it does affect the ZS EV Gen 1 & Gen 2 facelift models ?.
Ask me know I know ! 🤣 .
Made the mistake on our ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) but have not ( yet ) fallen for the same trick twice on our new model Gen 2 !.
I have always bought a OEM dealer touch up stick, within weeks of taking delivery of new cars.
You WILL need one at some point in time, that's for sure !.
Colour code ref number is found on the factory ID plate ( sticker ) that is located below the drivers door catch on the "B" post, when you open the driver door and look back.
This is on the MG ZS EV's - Unsure of its true location on the MG4 model.
PXL_20230104_204644895.NIGHT.jpg

Just went to clean the blades and couldn't believe the driver side arm is under the bonnet and the arm scratched the edge. This is clearly a fault on MGs side and they need to provide free touch-ups or a perm fix.

View attachment 14232

Just went to clean the blades and couldn't believe the driver side arm is under the bonnet and the arm scratched the edge. This is clearly a fault on MGs side and they need to provide free touch-ups or a perm fix.
Sorry .......... But I did try to warn you about this situation.
You are not the first or the last to discover this !.
This is NOT just a condition on MG models, it has happened on other makes also.
You need to get them bare metal area's touched in now, as a matter of some urgency.
Was you aware that there is a "wiper service mode" that you can select, that will park the wiper blades in a straight up vertical position ?.
Like us all, we only find these things out AFTER we have read the owners manual !.

Wiper Service Mode 2023-01-04 at 23.57.28.png

Last edited:
Sorry .......... But I did try to warn you about this situation.
You are not the first or the last to discover this !.
This is NOT just a condition on MG models, it has happened on other makes also.
You need to get them bare metal area's touched in now, as a matter of some urgency.
Was you aware that there is a "wiper service mode" that you can select, that will park the wiper blades in a straight up vertical position ?.
Like us all, we only find these things out AFTER we have read the owners manual !.

View attachment 14256
This is the page from the MG4 manual.
898BF6A1-349F-4F82-B0CA-DBDE1C6BF4E0.png

Should be a warning sticker on the car I reckon, not all of us drive the high end cars that MG is trying to replicate the style of.

View attachment 14232

I went and did exactly the same today! I don’t think I’m going to pay the £20 OEM and just get a black gloss from Halfords.

I went and did exactly the same today! I don’t think I’m going to pay the £20 OEM and just get a black gloss from Halfords.
It's a very easy mistake to make !.
MG have the service wiper park facility to avoid this happening, but it is all too easy to forget about it unfortunately :(.

It's a very easy mistake to make !.
MG have the service wiper park facility to avoid this happening, but it is all too easy to forget about it unfortunately :(.
It is so easy. I was talking to my wife and the time of cleaning my windows and just lifted it! Felt like a right idiot afterwards and because of where it is and knowing it’s that it’s all I could see when I went out afterwards.

Has anyone found a good touch-up pen? I made this mistake the first time, touched it up but wasn't that happy with the pen.

Managed to scratch the same area twice, because I get in the car with the wipers up, and the car tried to set them in the default position and scratched the same bit of the bonnet again 🤦🏼

Apologies for the tangent, but after washing my car today I noticed a tiny chip on the front wing. Any advice on what I get?
Try PaintNuts... they will mix paint for a touch-up stick etc to your exact colour. You can find your car's colour code on the label on the frame inside the drivers door.

Has anyone found a good touch-up pen? I made this mistake the first time, touched it up but wasn't that happy with the pen.

Managed to scratch the same area twice, because I get in the car with the wipers up, and the car tried to set them in the default position and scratched the same bit of the bonnet again 🤦🏼
I just went with gloss black from Halfords. It’s not perfect but it means it’s won’t be as noticeable when driving.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back