Best and worst cost fast charging station

Muffin

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
New MG Zs ev owner what are the cheapest charging stations out there and what ones to avoid when out and about

Last edited:
Check out Zap-map, I use free ones at Tesco's, Sainbury's and Asda but you need to start or confirm with an app PodPoint and BP Pulse.
Instavolt are very reliable but on the high side.
Try the Electric Juice card from Octopus Energy as it covers a number of charging networks and no pre authorisation fees.

Ive also signed up for Bonnet. They have fixed price of 35p irrespective of whichever charger we use(within their list). I use them whenever a charger costs more than 35p and if they are listed. If less than 35p, pay via contactless or prepaid credit or Octopus electric juice card.

I've found the PodPoint rapid chargers at Lidl stores effective and at about 26p per kw on a 50kw CCS is very good value at the moment.

Hoping the prices don't go up too much, I've used Bonnet for other charging stations with the free charge for being a new member and promocode and they've all worked for me but my wife had an issue with a dodgy charge point at a morrisons that wouldn't respond to anything and after 45mins on the phone to the support they just switched the charger off.

Currently using a BMW i3.

I made the mistake of charging with Ionity. I was in a rush and thought a 350kw charger would be faster than a 50kw charger so paid 69p/kwh instead of 39p/kwh with Gridserve. Got exactly the same speed as I usually do with 50kw chargers, charged 29kwh and it cost £20 rather than £11.30 with Gridserve

I made the mistake of charging with Ionity. I was in a rush and thought a 350kw charger would be faster than a 50kw charger so paid 69p/kwh instead of 39p/kwh with Gridserve. Got exactly the same speed as I usually do with 50kw chargers, charged 29kwh and it cost £20 rather than £11.30 with Gridserve
Are you sure about the speeds?? MGs onboard charger can take in upto 76kW. So Ionity should have been much faster than 50kW Gridserve. Its time vs money vs convenience for Ionity I guess ;)

Are you sure about the speeds?? MGs onboard charger can take in upto 76kW. So Ionity should have been much faster than 50kW Gridserve. Its time vs money vs convenience for Ionity I guess ;)

Yep, kept checking and only managed 31-42kw.

Attachments

• 20220417_084052.jpg
    20220417_084052.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 126
What was the temperature? If it was cold and you hadn't pre-heated the battery then you won't get good speeds.
It was 8c, cold but not very cold so would have thought it'd be ok. I'll try again in summer, might have been a dodgy charger.

My first charge, on my way home from picking the car up, in similar temperatures (8 deg C) it went from 40 to 80% at about 60-65 KWh and when it got to 80, it dropped to about 30 KWh, and then i disconnected as i had enough to get me home, and i did not want to "slow charge" the last 20%.

@Chrismgzs : Heres my ionity numbers:
Screenshot_20220417-071723_ElectricJuice.jpg

49 min and 40.28. Looking at your numbers 40min gave 27. If we equate that to 49 min, it would be 33 linearly lower than my ionity numbers. I am wondering if battery balancing/equalization plays a role too? Too many rapid charges messes the battery balancing and affects the intake capacity/rate? Worth you trying slow charging to 100% and do battery equalisation once and then try rapids to see if that makes any difference? @Lovemyev : Any suggestions/thoughts?

Was getting 97kW yesterday in an ZS LR on an MFG 150kW charger. I haven't tried an Ionity but their reputation is not good (over promise, under deliver)

@Chrismgzs : Heres my ionity numbers:
View attachment 7950
49 min and 40.28. Looking at your numbers 40min gave 27. If we equate that to 49 min, it would be 33 linearly lower than my ionity numbers. I am wondering if battery balancing/equalization plays a role too? Too many rapid charges messes the battery balancing and affects the intake capacity/rate? Worth you trying slow charging to 100% and do battery equalisation once and then try rapids to see if that makes any difference? @Lovemyev : Any suggestions/thoughts?
OUCH!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom