Best Trip to date...

Mostly around 3.3 for me but journeys haven't been more than 30 minutes or so

How about 5.9 miles/kWh?! A 25 mile journey home from the Staffordshire Moorlands last Thursday. Admittedly downhill, altogether about 700ft of descent.

Going there even with the climb still managed 3.5, so an overall figure of 4.7, pleased with that. Didn't bother with heating as we were going to be outside, temperature between 6 and 10 deg. Fairly low average speed with the country roads.

Today's trip home from work combined with two school runs. I can't sustain this every day, some days I get 2.9, but today is 4.4 miles/kWh. I have noticed that the most dramatic effect on fuel consumption is not driving style, but outside temperature. When it's +6C or below, particularly when it's raining, I struggle to get much over 3.0 miles/kWh, but when the temperature is in double figures (today was up to +14C at times), it rocketed up. My daily trip covers pretty much all kinds of conditions -- about a third of the journey is 40mph single carriageway, another third 70mph hilly dual carriageways and the rest a mixture of 40mph and 30mph town driving, sometimes in stop start traffic.

I should add that I wasn't trying to drive unduly economically, I was getting up to speed briskly but planning ahead as much as possible and timing the entry into junctions to keep the momentum of the car going.

I did this in normal mode and KERS 3, using the HVAC in auto mode for about half the journey. I'm not convinced eco or sport mode makes any difference -- it remaps the pedal response, but a good driver will just compensate for it.

I'm not convinced the vehicle's miles/kWh figure is accurate. I think it reports an unduly pessimistic figure. Like others, I have noticed that it reports a particularly poor figure during the start of every journey and during frequent short trips. This happens even when I'm attempting to drive as economically as possible. It really does seem to be that the biggest factor in fuel consumption is outside temperature.

Attachments

• IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 109
One thing that affects range (or, in my case, mpg) is how new the tyres are. New tyres give a poor range, to begin with, but as they start to wear, the range improves quickly and continues to do so until the tyres are ready for replacement. EPA testing is done on tyres with between 4,000 and 6250 miles on them.
I replaced my tyres in November, and the mpg plunged, but now, 4,000 miles later, it is more or less back to what I was getting with the old tyres.
So many of the members here have new cars with very few miles on them, so let me assure you that the range will improve with the miles (plus summer will make a huge difference).

It's in a ZS though - what's the best seen in an MG5 so far? I got 3.8 around town last week in normal with aircon on etc.
Anything up to 3.5 at the mo in my 5, almost all done cruising the A and B roads and quiet lanes of Norfolk, a mix of 50/60, 40 and 30 mph roads. Not much round town. There are very few hills in Norfolk.

One thing that affects range (or, in my case, mpg) is how new the tyres are. New tyres give a poor range, to begin with, but as they start to wear, the range improves quickly and continues to do so until the tyres are ready for replacement. EPA testing is done on tyres with between 4,000 and 6250 miles on them.
I replaced my tyres in November, and the mpg plunged, but now, 4,000 miles later, it is more or less back to what I was getting with the old tyres.
So many of the members here have new cars with very few miles on them, so let me assure you that the range will improve with the miles (plus summer will make a huge difference).
Wow, thanks @Jocko I never knew that! Tyres currently got 800 miles on 'em. Each...

A ZS, though? Think the question is aimed at 5 drivers?
Hi - Sorry if I have highjacked the thread with my results for my ZS EV ?.
I just read the topic :-
“Best trip to date” and responded ?.
Never mind, it may have been useful for MG5 owners to compare their results to the ZS EV owners figures I guess ?.
I think given the shape and height difference of the ZS over the MG5 - then us ZS owners are of the understanding that the we are struggling to match the figures achieved by the MG5 group.
That is okay by me, it is what I expected !.
Not too shabby results, I am happy with what I am receiving anyway 🥳.

Also the type of tyre, winter or summer tyre etc. and even the make of tyre.
The EU tyre rating shows how fuel efficient they are,
e.g.
EU Tyre Label
Roll resistance C Wet grip A Noise emissions 271 dB
The petrol pump symbol represents fuel efficiency, A is best.

I went from Bluearth summer tyres (B) to Bluearth all-weather (E), and though there was a huge difference in range to begin with, there is not that much now. But yes, all tyres have their plusses and minuses. Low Rolling Resistance gives range, but to an extent at the reduction in grip. The harder wearing a tyre, the better the range too.

I didn’t know this. I know the type of tyres and size can have a big impact. How do new tyres impact range? Do you know what causes this?

The reasons I was given include all of the following. New tyres are moulded into shape and the end is not 100% perfect concentric. The tyre surfaces have many rubber "Spikes", which are not 100% remove by shaving. All these can increase rolling resistance during the early life of the tyres. New tyres have a release agent to get the tyre out of the mould, and as this leaches out of the tyres, it increases the rolling resistance. The deeper tread of a new tyre also adds to this effect.

It's in a ZS though - what's the best seen in an MG5 so far? I got 3.8 around town last week in normal with aircon on etc.
Got 4.2 yesterday in Ecomode with Aircon off.....20 mile trip mixture of roads and some hills.

First dose of range anxiety this morning in more than three years owning my ebike!

Last Saturday a hilly ride onto the Derbyshire moors used up only one capacity bar out of five, so I didn't bother topping up. This morning there was a ferocious headwind and after ten miles of mostly climbing I was down to two bars, still with another 12-15 miles to go.

No regeneration of course on an ebike, but once up on top I didn't use much more. Still decided to cut out a final hill we did last week and actually got home with still two bars left. Each bar is about 100 watts, incidentally.

I'm passing this on because it shows the impact of wind and that's no different with cars. Although the 5 is more streamlined than me, even in my Lycra!

20210327_152403.jpg

4.4 Miles per kWh. Had the wife and kid in with me for 23.2 miles.

Had the auto air con on but to be fair it was nice weather. A combination of normal and eco. Best I've had in the car and must be the warmer weather now. But pleased with that.

I also saw the first MG5 in the same colour as mine. It was parked up near the M56.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom