Best way to get good economy / MPG

JTC01

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Best way to get good economy / MPG

Hello all,

I've just got a 2023 HS PHEV and I've been reading the forum to work out how to use all of the features.

One thing I'm struggling with is how to get the best economy. My main commute to work is 40 miles there, all motorway and then 40miles back. So 80 miles a day. I've tried leaving the car in auto hybrid mode and I seem to have averaged about 45MPG. I've also tried using all electric on the way there and then just petrol on the way back which does seem to have given better MPG - however I'm conscious of the fact on the drive home I'm lugging round the empty battery and it might not actually be more economical.

I don't floor it on the motorway, usually sit around 65 or 70mph and I have it in cruise control the entire drive so there's not much of slowing and speeding up constantly. It tends to sit at a steady speed.

Do any of you do longer journeys and have worked out the best ways to get the most economy out of the car.

Cheers

Have you read this thread?

The best way for me is driving first in EV then in hybrid mode but if you drive this not too hard like 85-95 km ph then you will have the best results, and always role the car out when you are at a traffic light or something, you will get the most electric back that way...it is much different driving then normal and not always every body is happy how you drive... when you rol out. always check your ev battery, sometimes it has charged for example 4km then when you know you only have too drive about 4km to your destination, switch again to ev mode and turn the heating off. this is how i do it.

In your scenario a PHEV might not be the best choice of vehicle. One, your journey is all motorway and two, your journey is over 32 miles. But you have to get the best you can out of it and to be honest what you are doing is already the best out of the scenario. As long as you return home with an empty battery that the best MPG you can do. If you ever stuck in traffic on the motorway switch it to EV.

To get best economy in EV is totally opposite of ICE car. EV runs most economical in urban stop/start traffic with regen and worst at motorway speed. ICE get best MPG on motorway and poor MPG in start/start town traffic.

Just a suggestion… When driving on motorways, I go cruise control at 60 MPH. This runs the engine at exactly 2000 RPM, which is the most economical for a petrol engine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom