Best way to look after the traction battery?

JamesMG5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hiya… am I correct that I should keep the car charged in the 20-80% range and only go to 100% say monthly to balance charge or for a long trip? MG also says to keep it above 50% most of the time but also not to over charge it.

I think the car has lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries so a good chemistry for longevity!

Any other tips? If I trickle solar in up to 80% is that ok?

It seems to have become the standard that you keep the battery between 20 and 80% to give the best conditions for best battery life.

I work on running down to 35 to 40% and the giving the car a charge back up to 65 to 70% for everyday running. I run up and down to Leeds from Southampton on a monthly basis, so charge pre-trip to 100% (allowing a balance charge) prior to setting off. I then run so far up the road, charge back up to 80/85% once down to 40% and push on.

It works out around 2 hours, coffee, charge and pee and then push on for another 2 hours...

To be honest... do I worry about battery life? Not really. I don't see the evidence of battery degredation in the reports from the likes of Cleeveley EVs that have done a load of miles on a 5LR and reported on YouTube on the state of their car.

I just enjoy the car and I'll worry about degradation if I see any evidence of it...

LFP batteries can be charged to 100%. NMC batteries should be kept between 20 and 80% most of the time.

Your battery has a 7 year warranty so enjoy the car.
I keep my MG5 SR between 40-80% as I like the regen and you don't get much if the battery is over 90%

My charging routine when at home is dictated purely by how much I can shove in during the 4 hour Go period, approx 40-45%. So I run it down to about 40% and then an overnight charge.
100% obviously for when I'm doing a run next day.

Hiya… am I correct that I should keep the car charged in the 20-80% range and only go to 100% say monthly to balance charge or for a long trip? MG also says to keep it above 50% most of the time but also not to over charge it.

I think the car has lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries so a good chemistry for longevity!

Any other tips? If I trickle solar in up to 80% is that ok?
Like you said the manual says keep it between 50 and 80%.

This is what I do. Means for my usage I am charging once every week or so.

I cannot have a charger at home so rely on public charging so do not charge every day.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom