Beyond angry!!!😡😡😡

How long this would take I don’t know
I speculate it would drain the battery below the required voltage in less than one night.
So an external powerbank might be the answer? You can get some pretty big ones for not too much money. I guess you'd need to calculate the power required by the dashcam for, say, 12 hours to see whether the powerbank has that much capacity.

I guess it’s no different than fitting one in an ICE car though? The battery in that doesn’t get topped up until the engine starts.

Here’s what NextBase technical support say;

“As with any electrical device, it will draw power whilst in use, how long it will last is dependant on too many factors to give any real answer with that.

If your car battery is in good condition and fully charged a few days should not be an issue

If you are going to leave it for any real length of time I would suggest unplugging the Dashcam to ensure the car starts easily.

I do hope this helps to answer your question.

Should you need any further advice please do get back in touch.”

Put my car on charge on Bothwell Street in Glasgow this evening. Came back to a note on the windscreen from a witness, telling me someone had smacked my car, then buggered off 😡😡😡

1 month I've had it. 1 bloody month. The front wing looks like a dog pissing in snow, but hey, they thoughtfully left me the reflector lens from their vehicle, and the witness left me their plate number. A quick check on askmid, and it's coming back as uninsured...

So, if anyone around Glasgow sees a black 70 plate Range Rover Velar missing their driver side reflector.... tell them I want a word with them 😡😡😡😡 and so do the cops.
This is classed as hit and run, the Police will assist you with a claim from the driver but it must have had insurance to tax it. Press a little harder and all should be fine. 😉

Put my car on charge on Bothwell Street in Glasgow this evening. Came back to a note on the windscreen from a witness, telling me someone had smacked my car, then buggered off 😡😡😡

1 month I've had it. 1 bloody month. The front wing looks like a dog pissing in snow, but hey, they thoughtfully left me the reflector lens from their vehicle, and the witness left me their plate number. A quick check on askmid, and it's coming back as uninsured...

So, if anyone around Glasgow sees a black 70 plate Range Rover Velar missing their driver side reflector.... tell them I want a word with them 😡😡😡😡 and so do the cops.
Effing **ssers, the only polite way of putting it, i actively park as far away as possible when going to supermarkets where not mant people do to avoid this kind of thing, but understand at charge points not viable obviously, hope they get the prat

Will you keep us updated?

You may find this useful
The problem occurs when you don’t have their reg or the details of the car.. I had this myself and they don’t honour it in this case (I.e damage was done while you were away from the vehicle)

I think in this case we have a reg number.

The problem occurs when you don’t have their reg or the details of the car.. I had this myself and they don’t honour it in this case (I.e damage was done while you were away from the vehicle)
Sorry you had a bad experience. It’s horrible when you come back to a bashed car. i don’t think that what you describe is technically an uninsured vehicle. Its hit whilst parked with no other vehicle details. They may or may not be insured. for an uninsured claim they need to establish a third party vehicle.

Will you keep us updated?
Not much to update so far.
After the initial phone calls, got a call back from the Police with a crime number.
Called the insurance company to give them the number, and later got a message from the witness to say they'd managed to put their report in OK.
The repair centre sent their assessor out on Friday, only took a few minutes to look over the damage, and they'll be back in touch with dates to take it in.

I don’t believe that it does this automatically, and it is a failing In my opinion. it should be like your car and automatically top up the 12v if it senses it getting low. You may recall a few threads about owners running their 12v batteries low because they were using when not in ‘ready’ mode. If a dashcam was hard wired into a permanently live 12v power source - and also used when parked - it would over time drain the 12v on the MG. How long this would take I don’t know 😕
I think since the 12V charges when you go into ready mode (or when charging), the idea with hard wired dash cams, is that they have sufficient 12V battery charge from daily use with say, weekly charging - even if you’re a low use commuter say. Parking mode for Dash cams can only really be relied upon with a hard wire install. It’s when you leave your MG parked for longer periods, like some of us who shield have had to do, that it drains the 12V. I go out for a ride and to charge @ local Sainsbury’s Pods (free) but I’ve yet to install my dashcam. :) would appreciate an in depth install article - know how to run the cable down but the one question have is with the hardwire kit - does it matter which way the fuse carrier goes in? I mean a fuse doesn’t care, but when you’re effectively tapping off juice you need to know which fuse terminal is supplying the juice...don’t you?

I'm not sure if all fitting kits have it, but I know the one I just bought has a fuse in the tap, and also an inline fuse before the box of tricks that cuts the power if the source voltage drops too low.

I presume the Tesla sentry mode runs off the high voltage otherwise it would drain the 12v very quickly...looks great and also has a dog mode

@macd2401
Very sorry for this incident
Really there was a time when such incidents will be common place in Glasgow ever night but those days are well pass and gone and hopefully the police will get the person who damaged your car.
My advice is to look carefully at your insurance small print about damage from uninsured drivers.
Most reputable companies will have some amount of cover indemnity for damage by uninsured persons. Hope have your car sorted soon.
Regarding Dash CAM, I get all the benefits but just do not want to do anything to the ZS EV. Just want to enjoy it as it is. Don't know but I may be alone in thinking that way......

Somebody hit my wife's in an Aldi car park just the other day when it is only 2 months old! No note, no witness, just a cowardly runner. Thankfully the estimates are under £500 so not worth claiming for when you take into account the excess and increased premium next year 🤬🤬

Attachments

• 20210227_180805.jpg
    20210227_180805.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210227_180753.jpg
    20210227_180753.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210227_180746.jpg
    20210227_180746.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 112
Somebody hit my wife's in an Aldi car park just the other day when it is only 2 months old! No note, no witness, just a cowardly runner. Thankfully the estimates are under £500 so not worth claiming for when you take into account the excess and increased premium next year 🤬🤬
Shower of shite.
You just don’t need it !.
Makes my blood boil.

Damn 😡

Would have to be right on the crease 🤦‍♂️

The wheel arch trim has the little plastic clips that the trim slides into

20210214_113612.jpg

I think since the 12V charges when you go into ready mode (or when charging), the idea with hard wired dash cams, is that they have sufficient 12V battery charge from daily use with say, weekly charging - even if you’re a low use commuter say. Parking mode for Dash cams can only really be relied upon with a hard wire install. It’s when you leave your MG parked for longer periods, like some of us who shield have had to do, that it drains the 12V. I go out for a ride and to charge @ local Sainsbury’s Pods (free) but I’ve yet to install my dashcam. :) would appreciate an in depth install article - know how to run the cable down but the one question have is with the hardwire kit - does it matter which way the fuse carrier goes in? I mean a fuse doesn’t care, but when you’re effectively tapping off juice you need to know which fuse terminal is supplying the juice...don’t you?
Useful dashcam install video from Tom's Man shed

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom