Bigger wheels, wider tyres, boy racer 4 life šŸ˜‚

1622982352282.jpeg

Hi Miles thanks for your kind reply
Do your suggestions make the tires rather wider instead of higher? I was thinking of adding more height to the weeks and fill up the weel space or do I misunderstand the tire numbers

View attachment 3471
Hi Miles thanks for your kind reply
Do your suggestions make the tires rather wider instead of higher? I was thinking of adding more height to the weeks and fill up the weel space or do I misunderstand the tire numbers
The first number is the width of the tyre in mm.
The second number is the height of the side wall of the tyre, expressed as a percentage of the width. So a 235/45R18 tyre will be 20mm wider, and 9mm taller on the radius (18mm on the diameter) bigger than the 215/45R18 you have. This is the size I have, and I feel it's a good compromise of width and increased height. It doesn't foul the arches on full steering lock.

Neither in the Netherland.But we can put on a capable tow hook since the petrol version does have the capability
we can place a tow box for vacation and other Situations
1623001176561.jpeg

I do think the car is more than capable of towing a smal trailer. It just costs more electricity. Not sure if I will try.

Hi all,

Thought I could share a couple of photos of my (wife's) MG ZS EV, which has been lightly modified (initially by @shikoku14 ) with tints all round, and now by myself with the addition of some new wheels and tyres.

The original wheel specifications from MG are 17" X 7", ET41, with 215/50R17 tyres.
The wheel PCD is 5x112mm (same as Audi/VW/Mercedes etc), with a centre bore of 56.1mm

I decided to get a set of slightly larger diameter (18") wheels, with a wider fitment (8.5" wide), and a slightly wider offset (ET35), which means that compared to normal, the wheel edge sits around 1" further towards the arch of the car, and 0.5" closer towards the suspension turret.

I got the wheels off eBay (bit of a bargain, they came with a set of nearly new Michelin CrossClimate tyres, unfortunately they were the wrong tyre size to fit the MG, but cost Ā£299 for the set!).

Tyres removed (and up for sale!), I then got some Nexen N'Fera SU1 tyres (good reviews, and quite competitively priced) in a 235/45R18 size. This is a bit taller than the standard tyre (closer in diameter to the 215/55R17 which MG now fit on the ZS EV in India), giving 11mm additional ride height.

I think that they fill the arches better than the original wheel and tyre combination, and make the car look a bit better in terms of stance.

Let me know what you think!

View attachment 2476View attachment 2477View attachment 2478
Hi Miles,
Greetings from Denmark. I'm also feeling that the standard wheel/tire setup is not perfect. I actually prefer a higher profile tire, and I'm wondering whether there is room under the arches for a 215/60 17". So keep the wheel, and change for the higher profile. I like the more rubber, to avoid the pavement scuffs on the rims. I'm not a boy racer anymore - gentle and comfortable is more my driving style now (!) so the handling and cornering at high speed isn't first priority! ;-)

I had a screw in my tyre the other week. So I had to replace the tyre. (It was sadly no repairable)
By accident they replaced it with an other size.
It took me a week to notice.
they will fix it today
It is a nicer sight though.

Attachments

• 775CA22A-1B30-4136-9015-65437683414B.jpeg
    775CA22A-1B30-4136-9015-65437683414B.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 4231ADA6-5E77-4B3B-B089-1E59355AF021.jpeg
    4231ADA6-5E77-4B3B-B089-1E59355AF021.jpeg
    939.3 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 282
I had a screw in my tyre the other week. So I had to replace the tyre. (It was sadly no repairable)
By accident they replaced it with an other size.
It took me a week to notice.
they will fix it today
It is a nicer sight though.
Nice wheels! What's the name/make of them, please? And yes the higher profile fills the wheel arch nicely!

Hiya, just getting started on here so forgive the newbie question. Where would I start looking for 18" or 19"? Is this a case of sourcing the rims (ebay etc.) and then getting a local garage to fit them? Or is there more to it?

Hiya, just getting started on here so forgive the newbie question. Where would I start looking for 18" or 19"? Is this a case of sourcing the rims (ebay etc.) and then getting a local garage to fit them? Or is there more to it?
You can source the rims from various alloy wheel vendors online or on the high street. I bought some used rims off of eBay, but you need to make sure that you know the offset, width, PCD (distance between the wheel bolts) etc, so that you can confirm they'll fit. You may also need replacement wheel bolts if you choose an OEM VW wheel (as they use radius tapered bolts rather than a straight taper).
Then you'll need to make sure that the tyre specification will fit your car (the sizes we've listed on this thread will work).
Then when you get them fitted to your car, the garage will need to remove the tyre valves from each of your old wheels, and refit them in the respective new wheels, so that you don't get any warning lights on your dash (as they are coded in to the car to let you know if you get a puncture).
If you want a set that look like mine, then this set on eBay (ending in a few hours) is the same size wheel as mine, with slightly different profile tyres (but still within spec): 18" Fox Racing MS007 Gloss Black Alloy Wheel Rim 5x112 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheers! Thanks for the great explanation ā€” will look into it!

Anyone know how this impacts the 7 year warranty? Would love to make some minor alterations like wheels/stereo/lights, but not if it'll cost me the peace of mind of the warranty!
The warranty would only be voided on those components which were changed if they caused a fault. For example if you changed the speakers, and it caused a fault on the head unit, they wouldn't warranty the head unit or speakers. If you changed the alloys for much larger/low profile, and it wore out the wheel bearings, they probably wouldn't cover that under warranty.

Hi all,

Thought I could share a couple of photos of my (wife's) MG ZS EV, which has been lightly modified (initially by @shikoku14 ) with tints all round, and now by myself with the addition of some new wheels and tyres.

The original wheel specifications from MG are 17" X 7", ET41, with 215/50R17 tyres.
The wheel PCD is 5x112mm (same as Audi/VW/Mercedes etc), with a centre bore of 56.1mm

I decided to get a set of slightly larger diameter (18") wheels, with a wider fitment (8.5" wide), and a slightly wider offset (ET35), which means that compared to normal, the wheel edge sits around 1" further towards the arch of the car, and 0.5" closer towards the suspension turret.

I got the wheels off eBay (bit of a bargain, they came with a set of nearly new Michelin CrossClimate tyres, unfortunately they were the wrong tyre size to fit the MG, but cost Ā£299 for the set!).

Tyres removed (and up for sale!), I then got some Nexen N'Fera SU1 tyres (good reviews, and quite competitively priced) in a 235/45R18 size. This is a bit taller than the standard tyre (closer in diameter to the 215/55R17 which MG now fit on the ZS EV in India), giving 11mm additional ride height.

I think that they fill the arches better than the original wheel and tyre combination, and make the car look a bit better in terms of stance.

Let me know what you think!

View attachment 2476View attachment 2477View attachment 2478
Look very nice I have only just bought my ZS ev but thought bigger wheels and tyres would look better. I assume the larger ones you have fitted should have any adverse effect of power consumption or range?

Look very nice I have only just bought my ZS ev but thought bigger wheels and tyres would look better. I assume the larger ones you have fitted should have any adverse effect of power consumption or range?

Larger and/or wider wheels/tyres do have a slight effect on range, but it's pretty minimal. In my case I hardly noticed when changing to 18" wheels with 245/40 tyres. Certainly under 5% I'd expect.

I don't think so. I believe the ZT has a PCD of 5x100 and the MG5 needs 5x112.

Could be wrong though. Most website list the MG5 as 5x100 and we know it's not.
Correct, the ZT isn't the same fitment as the MG5. Sorry, as those wheels would look fairly epic on the MG5 ;-)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom