Bigger wheels, wider tyres, boy racer 4 life 😂

wheelimage.gif

What do you lovely people think about putting 19" rims with 225/45s on my ZS EV.
(The orange wheel image is the dimensions of the wheels that MilesperkWh has shown at the start of this thread).
Thanks.

View attachment 4228
What do you lovely people think about putting 19" rims with 225/45s on my ZS EV.
(The orange wheel image is the dimensions of the wheels that MilesperkWh has shown at the start of this thread).
Thanks.
Bad idea, it's just too far out of spec. Miles is already beyond the legal allowance, but this is much worse it is just too far out. It might even affect emergency braking systems as well due to the car calculating braking pressure and such on an expected diameter and distance travelled per wheel revolution. 225/40 is still too big, but much closer to spec.

Capture.JPG

The above compares your suggestion to standard, the under read on this is a massive 5.6%. With this much error, you are probably risking non valid insurance in the event it's checked after any accident as well!

Last edited:
235/40R19 would be a slightly better match in terms of circumference, and seems to be a fairly widely available size too.
View attachment 4229
Not really Miles, that gives a 3.55% under read, that's a lot more than "slightly" beyond the legal allowance!

Just to expand on this a little, UK law allows no under read at all, (over read can be up to 10%) However 1% to 2% larger diameter can usually be "got away" with as most speedo's over read a little. Be aware the ZS EV is very close, within 1% of real speed compared to a GPS check. I'd strongly advise anyone to try and keep their new wheel/tyre combination to no more than 2% larger, better closer to 1%.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answers. Valid points made, that I hadn’t considered. I don’t live in the UK, but I’m pretty convinced the Danish laws are at least as tight as UK laws, if not tighter, actually.
Anyone considered lowering the vehicle in an attempt to fill the wheel arches?! Maybe there’s a photoshop guru amongst us who could create before/after photos 😉

Thanks for the quick answers. Valid points made, that I hadn’t considered. I don’t live in the UK, but I’m pretty convinced the Danish laws are at least as tight as UK laws, if not tighter, actually.
Anyone considered lowering the vehicle in an attempt to fill the wheel arches?! Maybe there’s a photoshop guru amongst us who could create before/after photos 😉

I've thought about lowering. There is a company,

Who sell a lowering kit, 25mm front, 20mm rear. I think that would look good.

Last edited:
Bad idea, it's just too far out of spec. Miles is already beyond the legal allowance, but this is much worse it is just too far out. It might even affect emergency braking systems as well due to the car calculating braking pressure and such on an expected diameter and distance travelled per wheel revolution.
Been thinking about this point - Wouldn't the increased work that the braking system would have to do, (due to the increased torque from larger diameter wheels) be in the same ballpark as the extra stopping power required to stop a 100 kilo man driving with, for arguments sake, 3 x 100kg passengers in the car - contra a 60 kg man driving alone? Surely there must be huge tolerances/allowances built into the braking system to allow for these variables.. Or am I missing something? (Been a while since I did physics in school ;-) )

Are there any width/profile considerations regarding tires rubbing against the wheel arches? When upgrading a V70R from 17" to 18" wheels, the bump stops from the C70 had to be fitted to prevent the larger wheel fouling the arch.

Any similar issues with MGs? Or is there more than enough clearance?

Again, with the V70, the ECU knew about the tire size, suspect this could be altered in software (by the dealer?) - do any of the MGs allow a change like this to recalibrate the speedo, etc?

Are there any width/profile considerations regarding tires rubbing against the wheel arches? When upgrading a V70R from 17" to 18" wheels, the bump stops from the C70 had to be fitted to prevent the larger wheel fouling the arch.

Any similar issues with MGs? Or is there more than enough clearance?

Again, with the V70, the ECU knew about the tire size, suspect this could be altered in software (by the dealer?) - do any of the MGs allow a change like this to recalibrate the speedo, etc?
There seems to be adequate clearance for anything that will remain remotely close to legal from a speedo point of view. As long as the offset is kept within reason, 18" & 19" wheels up to about 8.5" wide are fine with the right tyre combinations.

Hi Miles,
Greetings from Denmark. I'm also feeling that the standard wheel/tire setup is not perfect. I actually prefer a higher profile tire, and I'm wondering whether there is room under the arches for a 215/60 17". So keep the wheel, and change for the higher profile. I like the more rubber, to avoid the pavement scuffs on the rims. I'm not a boy racer anymore - gentle and comfortable is more my driving style now (!) so the handling and cornering at high speed isn't first priority! ;-)
Hi @PhillCPH, did you end up increasing your tyre height? I'm also considering going for a 215/60/17 (up from 215/50/17). Certainly looks like there would be ample room in the arches but keen to understand if anyone has fitted these yet and if they rub at all?

Hi @PhillCPH, did you end up increasing your tyre height? I'm also considering going for a 215/60/17 (up from 215/50/17). Certainly looks like there would be ample room in the arches but keen to understand if anyone has fitted these yet and if they rub at all?
You'd be better going for 215/55R17, which is the tyre size they use on the new MG ZS EV, as well as the new MG ZS Petrol. Otherwise you'll have altered the gearing quite a lot, the speedo will be a long way out, and it may affect the driveability.

You'd be better going for 215/55R17, which is the tyre size they use on the new MG ZS EV, as well as the new MG ZS Petrol. Otherwise you'll have altered the gearing quite a lot, the speedo will be a long way out, and it may affect the driveability.
Thanks @MilesperkWh, after much debating and back and forth I've pulled the trigger on:
4 x Michelin CrossClimate 2 215/55 R17 W (98)

Just under £600 on tyres 🤮 But having had the previous gen CrossClimates on another car, the CrossClimate2 appear to be a decent upgrade and with their improved rolling resistance I'm hoping I won't loose too much range. (it's not that big a deal for me anyway as I only tend to do low mileage trips).

North of Scotland here so I swear by winter/all weather tyres, and I've been seriously unimpressed with the Tyres that came with the car, so would rather have more grip than range 😀

Looks good @MilesperkWh I like the tinted windows at the front mine came with the back done didn’t realise you can do the front as well.
Does the tyre pressure indication still work ??
Yes, because I got 4 new TPMS sensors with the wheels, and had them coded into the car.

Thanks @MilesperkWh, after much debating and back and forth I've pulled the trigger on:

Just under £600 on tyres 🤮 But having had the previous gen CrossClimates on another car, the CrossClimate2 appear to be a decent upgrade and with their improved rolling resistance I'm hoping I won't loose too much range. (it's not that big a deal for me anyway as I only tend to do low mileage trips).

North of Scotland here so I swear by winter/all weather tyres, and I've been seriously unimpressed with the Tyres that came with the car, so would rather have more grip than range 😀
They are expensive but I put Cross Climates mk I on my Outlander and I think they are excellent, very nice ride and low rolling resistance apart from being excellent in low temps and snow. Users on Mitsu forums seem to agree that they run nicely up to 4 psi higher than spec, which should also reduce rolling resistance further.
Every year when the first flake of snow falls in this country the roads come to standstill - I don't know why all vehicles aren't fitted with all season tyres in the first place.

I’ve fitted four of these to my MG5LR, slightly smaller size so about 3/4 the cost.

Done about 1000 miles and can still unsettle them if heavy footed - it’s all subjective but feel grippier than OEM tyres. And obviously should behave better in the cold.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom