Bjørn Nyland MG4 Bangkok challenge

Interesting that they get a trophy trim with the smaller battery there.

Also shows how dodgy the LKA is…

Hopefully at some point we will also get a software update that will allow charging up to the advertised 117kw.

Good review - agree with everything he says.

Bjorn seemed to like it. He raved about ride and seemed happy with performance. He had nicer seats that we get in the UK but still felt it was a bit cheap inside.

Downsides for him were the charging speed never getting over about 80 kWh even in ideal conditions, LKA being borderline dangerous, the screen freeze and unreliable range prediction (especially at lower end). Most of these could potentially be improved with software updates.

Noticed the below screen buttons were laid out for RHD with the heater controls on the right, also his car didn't go BLING every time he opened a door or touched a control.

Yeah, I noticed that the controls were reversed. (Volume being closest to the driver makes sense, so his were the wrong way round).

I was also surprised that he seemed to expect the steering wheel on the left of the car, yet they drive on the LHS of the road over there?

the screen freeze and unreliable range prediction (especially at lower end).
His previous video in the MG4 had some interesting facts on different types of battery chemistry and why manufactures choose different battery types for certain models.
He talks at some length about the LFP batteries and the difficulties found predicting estimated range figures.
I will include the link for anybody who maybe interested.

Last edited:
That's an overall good review and comparison. even much better looking at the breakdown with cars coasting twice the price of the MG4.

1675174881523.png

Look, this is a great car. Then you take the price into considerations and it becomes a GREAT car. MG not being customer focused is true for most other brands too. I have a friend whose business is centred around Mercedes S class cars. I am talking buying and eventually selling over 500+ cars. He said to me that the Mercedes customer care has become shit. No one answer or cares anymore. So, my point is most car makers are the same. Some better and some worse but not that much differentiation. The real art is finding the right sales/service personnel. I feel bad for some people on this forum who have had a really bad car. But you know there is a reason the expression of buying a LEMON is used. Some production cars turn out shitty. If you want an electric car now, then order the MG. Don't listen to the FUD.

Look, this is a great car. Then you take the price into considerations and it becomes a GREAT car. MG not being customer focused is true for most other brands too. I have a friend whose business is centred around Mercedes S class cars. I am talking buying and eventually selling over 500+ cars. He said to me that the Mercedes customer care has become sh*t. No one answer or cares anymore. So, my point is most car makers are the same. Some better and some worse but not that much differentiation. The real art is finding the right sales/service personnel. I feel bad for some people on this forum who have had a really bad car. But you know there is a reason the expression of buying a LEMON is used. Some production cars turn out sh*tty. If you want an electric car now, then order the MG. Don't listen to the FUD.
For me, I could have bought a car much much cheaper than the MG4 and the MG4 being my first EV, for whats on offer and the price point, its turned out to be a very good bargain for me compared to whatselse is out there, the Car might not have so many bells and whistles which I will probably not use, given apart from ACC and heating and android auto in this car, its more than sufficient and the drive is awesome for the price coming from 5 Series BMW.

Even though I have the SE SR, its more than plenty for my needs aside from the range which I really do not need, the most I ll drive would be 120-130 miles when doing an airport run which is maybe a handful of times in a year.

So yeah there might be other cars which are better than the MG4 even with the niggles but show me one in exactly the price range and we ll talk.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back