Blind Spot Detection Fail

Surfdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My blind spot detection system has recently stopped working on my nearside mirror. Offside still works. The orange light no longer comes on when a vehicle is in blind spot. Can't see any more threads on this system. I believe they may only be a Trophy feature.
Anyone else had issues with this? It was one if the most useful MG Pilot features that I liked.
I take it the sensor for this is in the mirror itself. Hopefully just a failed bulb/led. I'll live with it until first service in 3 months.

Check the camera lens under the mirror cap, it might be this that does the sensing and could be dirty. Just a thought.

I believe it uses the ultrasonic sensors in the rear bumper so if your parking sensors are working properly, it's probably a fault with the LED in the mirror. Don't know if this would be replaceable or if a whole new mirror would be required.

In that case you can test if it's the radar or the mirror by parking on street and slightly opening the corresponding door (carefully obviously). As traffic passes it will give an audible warning if the radar is working.

Sensor appears to be mounted behind rear bumper as per mg4mc and is not obvious from outside. Check image I found in service repair manual. I removed the small cover for emergency fuel flap release and could just see corner if what appears to be the sensor unit. Looks like to access it the wheel arch cover would have to be removed. Car is clean and washed regularly so nothing obscured by dirt. One for the dealer in March at service.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231223_145343_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20231223_145343_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 74
Sensor appears to be mounted behind rear bumper as per mg4mc and is not obvious from outside. Check image I found in service repair manual. I removed the small cover for emergency fuel flap release and could just see corner if what appears to be the sensor unit. Looks like to access it the wheel arch cover would have to be removed. Car is clean and washed regularly so nothing obscured by dirt. One for the dealer in March at service.
Hi Surfdog, where did you manage to get a service repair manual from? Sounds very useful.

Hi Surfdog, where did you manage to get a service repair manual from? Sounds very useful.
What your looking for is the Refit and Remove manual. Someone posted a link a couple of months back but I can't find it now. I tried to upload it here but won't allow it as file too big.

Last edited:
Thank you Siteguru - that's a fantastic resource. Do you have a similar link for the MG5 please? (I tried substituting 5 for 4 in the URL but it didn't work).
The link is for Siteguru's own files which he has downloaded and saved in the cloud. You might find something similar here but you will need your VIN.

The link is for Siteguru's own files which he has downloaded and saved in the cloud. You might find something similar here but you will need your VIN.
Thanks for the link to the user manuals Ian but the site doesn't carry the comprehensive wiring, servicing, repair etc. manuals for the MG5 - similar to those for the MG4 that Siteguru has on his site.

Thanks for the link to the user manuals Ian but the site doesn't carry the comprehensive wiring, servicing, repair etc. manuals for the MG5 - similar to those for the MG4 that Siteguru has on his site.
You might have better luck posting on the MG5 forum

I obtained those manuals etc. because someone had paid €6.95 or so for access to MG's service portal and then posted links in a thread here, so I downloaded copies then put them on my website for easy reference. :)

I presume that MG5 manuals etc. would equally be available in the portal.

Thanks Siteguru. I'd be happy to buy the MG5's service manuals etc. but when I google 'MG Service Portal' it leads nowhere relevant. If you could provide the URL I'd be everso grateful.

This is the original thread I was referring to:

This is the original thread I was referring to:

Thanks Siteguru. I rummaged around and found this link MG - Repair & Maintenance Information but I can't get past the login. However, your MG4 docs are a good read and I bet there are strong similarities with the MG5 which will prove useful.

The info is there in the FAQ. Although I can't actually see the Register link. 🤷‍♂️

How do I apply for the account and gain access to the portal?

1. Go to " Login" Page on the top right of the homepage.
2. Click on "No account? Register now".
3. Fill the registration form and complete the validation process.
4. Gain the limited access to the portal once the registration is completed.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back