• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

BMS Update again

nhan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Back to the BMS update again.
I have my MG now about 3 weeks and timed charging was not an option, either using my new Rolec 7Kw charger or the granny cable. Yesterday the car was in for updates, I asked for BMS, Comfort 2 and HV fuse. The Comfort update is obviously in - makes quite a difference, but I have a problem with the BMS.
Now I can do a delayed charge using the granny cable and everything works great. I can't though with the Rolec charger. It just wont wake it up. I still need to lock the car before charging and when I open the door it stops and restarts again when I lock it.
I know there was a particular problem with Rolec chargers and Mg's but I thought this was meant to fix it. Something definitely went in as I can time charge with the granny cable.
I also have a Nissan Leaf and the Rolec works perfectly with that. I had the trickle charge turned off so I could use it with the leaf while I was waiting on the update.
Anyone recognise what's going on and would anyone out there who has had the August BMS update have a reference number for it?

Can you charge the car unlocked ??
I will be watching this one as I have been told my car is up to date (70 Plate) .But I do not think it has had the BMS update as I can only charge car when locked.You should be able to unlock car and charging should resume .Tried on granny ,and 7kw charger but stops when unlocked will only start when locked again.Hope someone can help you.

I can only charge if locked. If I open it stops and restarts when I lock again. Like I said above, something went in because I can delay charge with the granny cable but not the charger

Just come back from my MG dealer they said my car does not need BMS update ,but they did it anyway .I can now charge car unlocked so suggest you insist they carry out this update to cure your problem.

I’m just curious why would they do updates and then say ...ah it’s okay you don’t really need it...just really concerned about the lack of continuity across the franchise at the moment perhaps they need to get going in the same direction and make the brand a real success or send out information about updates to the registered owners to chase up instead.

According to my chassis number the update was not required but they did it anyway and as I said it cured my problem.When I was working in the trade updates got sent out reference the chassis number but we had to do so many it could only be done alphabetically otherwise you ended up with everyone trying to book in at the sametime .Maybe next week I will get a letter saying I have an update required !!!!!.

After being told many times by the dealer that there are no updates for my ZS, they have finally admitted that there are a couple of updates..........however these will be carried out only if any faults require attention or at the first service.
As I have no particular problems with the car I think that I will wait and hope that the dealer will be competent in the installation of updates by the time of my first service ealy next year!

I've been in touch about mine and waiting on them getting back to me........

After being told many times by the dealer that there are no updates for my ZS, they have finally admitted that there are a couple of updates..........however these will be carried out only if any faults require attention or at the first service.
As I have no particular problems with the car I think that I will wait and hope that the dealer will be competent in the installation of updates by the time of my first service ealy next year!
I only went to dealer because of charging issue would have waited until service date as totally happy with car.

Update on how it all worked out
When I brought it back to the dealer and they put the chasis number in the computer, and working with MG, it apparently came back that the BMS update was not required for my car. What they did do though was install an update from late July which specifically dealt with Rolec chargers. Following that I have now "Smart Charged" for the last couple of nights with no problem. I can also now open the doors and the charging continues. All this has only been tried on my own Rolec charger but as I have yet to need a charger anywhere else, I'm happy with that.
One side issue that was thrown up was, after the upgrade, Android Auto was throwing wobblies all over the place. Constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, blank screen, refusing to connect at all. I carried out a factory reset on the entertainment system and, fingers crossed, all seems OK again.

Last edited:
Sometime, android auto is picky with the cable and connection. Could be a coincidence.

"What they did do though was install an update from late July which specifically dealt with Rolec chargers."

So there is another update in addition to the BMS update for the car to get it to work with Rolec?

Yes, thats what I was told. Read somewhere else about it as well. Everything here has been working great since that

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom