BMS Update - Should I?

mystreet

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
My BMS is v1 straight out of the factory, purchased the car 3rd November 2020. Whilst sitting at Sainburys charging with the doors locked. Getting 455v, 160m in E. What I want to be able to do is charge it with the doors unlocked, and in the summer with them open. My question is do I get the current update or wait until a good few months to see how it performs on other car (yours)

My BMS is v1 straight out of the factory, purchased the car 3rd November 2020. Whilst sitting at Sainburys charging with the doors locked. Getting 455v, 160m in E. What I want to be able to do is charge it with the doors unlocked, and in the summer with them open. My question is do I get the current update or wait until a good few months to see how it performs on other car (yours)
Wait until after lockdown. It’s not an essential trip. Your car works fine!

From what Miles said on the podcast last night it’s not the BMS update that does this; let’s the car charged unlocked.

I had mine updated and I didn't have the buggy software. I've seen no difference in range, my voltage has dropped from 455v to 449v.
My regen is definitely stronger and I can now charge unlocked (although PodPoint won't allow the car to charge unless it's locked)

I would say go for it.

I can report the latest BMS update is fine, I just got it having not had the earlier faulty version. It does drop the upper voltage to 450v, but having used my car extensively over the last week due to a family emergency, I can report the range has remained just fine and have seen no other I'll effects.

It would appear if you didn't have charging whilst unlocked set on the car before, this update, won't give you it, although, you can access the boot with the key in your pocket using the proximity feature.

I can report the latest BMS update is fine, I just got it having not had the earlier faulty version. It does drop the upper voltage to 450v, but having used my car extensively over the last week due to a family emergency, I can report the range has remained just fine and have seen no other I'll effects.

It would appear if you didn't have charging whilst unlocked set on the car before, this update, won't give you it, although, you can access the boot with the key in your pocket using the proximity feature.
From the podcast on Monday I gathered that the charge unlocked was not actually part of the BMS updates but was a separate ECU ? update that should be done as part of the sequence.

From the podcast on Monday I gathered that the charge unlocked was not actually part of the BMS updates but was a separate ECU ? update that should be done as part of the sequence.
I don't know, sounds like it, my car has never had it turned on, I don't mind as long as I've got rapid charging when unlocked. Most seem to have got it along with the dodgy update last year.

Has anyone got it just with the last January update?

That’s what Miles from MG Chorley said....

I don't know, sounds like it, my car has never had it turned on, I don't mind as long as I've got rapid charging when unlocked. Most seem to have got it along with the dodgy update last year.

Has anyone got it just with the last January update?
Me. I couldn't charge unlocked before the 15/01/2021 update and I didn't have the buggy update either (car delivered 20th December)

I've not watched the podcast yet but...

When the update was released for "07/2020 (SA015) BMS update 2", this was the point at which cars got the charge on AC whilst unlocked feature.

So any car that has been updated since 07/2020, will have received the charge on AC whilst unlocked feature (as they will receive all updates that have been released up to then)

Thinking about it, if you "purchased the car 3rd November 2020", it probably left the factory before the "07/2020 (SA015) BMS update 2" hence didn't have that applied, however, I'm surprised the dealer didn't perform all available updates before they handed over the car.
Maybe they'd pulled the latest "24/10/2020 BMS Update 3" just prior to you getting the car, not sure exactly when they withdrew it due to the big bug in it. But that said, I'd have thought they'd have been updates to other modules that they'd still have applied...maybe ALL updates were paused until the problem was rectified???

As per other post... Had the revised BMS done today as part of service (never had the previous dodgy BMS updates). Charged to 100% and was getting 439v ish. But range was 159 miles (normal mode) which for winter (and max 163 miles) seems about right. It reminds me of pre comfort 2 ranges which was much more accurate on the GOM than after, eg after comfort 2 GOM was showing anything up to 190miles which is not really possible on the MG ZS EV. Therefore I'm not going to worry too much about the voltage as that doesn't seem useful. Seems like the new levels are about right but will continue to monitor how range drops on drives and whether it seems disproportionate. Also equalisation took 6 hours which is about right according to the manual (up to 9 hours if car hasn't been used for a while or not equalised for a while). After equalisation finished the voltage was 450, range the same as before.

Finally car now charges without locking too (didn't have this before).

Last edited:
Okay, here is my personal experience on my own car.
Collected on the 6th Jan 2020.
It had the very first update that allowed delayed charging on SOME wall boxes.
I was able to do this with my older dumb Rolec unit with a Wi-fi relay adapted into the case.
This has worked brilliantly for over 12 months now.
Car enters the workshop for the very first time on 19th Oct 2020 to receive the "Comfort 2" update.
Just before the "Buggy" software entered the car after 24 Oct 2020.
Car performed fine before and after the comfort 2 update.
Just to say, it would NOT charge with the DOORS unlocked before OR after the Comfort 2 update for those who are interested.
Next time the car enters the workshop is the 15th of January 2021 for its first service and the drivers door wiring harness recall ( early models only ) and the recommended and necessary HV battery fuse protection update.
Strangely, my car was at the dealers on the very same day as the latest BMS update was released.
Long story, but my car ended up at the dealers for four days.
When I received the car back, it had been given the latest BMS update only released two days earlier.
Now it WILL charge with the doors unlocked.
Still not really sure that this something that is of much massive benefit though.
Had you asked me:- "What voltage is your HV pack displaying, when fully charged"
I would NOT not have a clue to be totally honest !.
But over the last two weeks, it's the talk of the town.
I now find myself unnecessary charging / balancing over huge times scales for journeys that I find difficult to make, chasing down this mythical unicorn figure of 455 volts all of a sudden - why ?.

I think that as long as the range is about right and drops more or less in line with mileage driven there isn't much point in thinking about the voltage. I don't intend to worry about that if so.

My question is do I get the current update or wait until a good few months to see how it performs on other car
In answer to part of the original question :-
"Should I wait".
Well if the dealer does his job correctly and checks for necessary updates when your car is submitted for service, then you will get the update then regardless.
Unless you tell them NOT to apply any updates, but they may say that it could invalidate your warranty if it could be proved that a component failed because you refused the recommend updates from the manufacture.
So, it looks like they are making some attempt to standardise the software on every ZS EV.
Which has to make some sense I guess ?.
Having cars running around on different levels of software does not make any sense at all really.

I think that was part of the comfort 2 update....I may be wrong.
You are partially right. 2nd Generation Comfort System update prior to 24/10/20 did not include charging while unlocked.

From that date it did!

I've not watched the podcast yet but...

When the update was released for "07/2020 (SA015) BMS update 2", this was the point at which cars got the charge on AC whilst unlocked feature.

So any car that has been updated since 07/2020, will have received the charge on AC whilst unlocked feature (as they will receive all updates that have been released up to then)
The MG Tech has to apply all the ticks in their software ‘in the right order’ else you loose functionality. Ie you don’t get the charging while unlocked, if he did it in the wrong order! Which is why some cars have it and some don’t even though they were updated at similar times.

Training.......

Thinking about it, if you "purchased the car 3rd November 2020", it probably left the factory before the "07/2020 (SA015) BMS update 2" hence didn't have that applied, however, I'm surprised the dealer didn't perform all available updates before they handed over the car.
Maybe they'd pulled the latest "24/10/2020 BMS Update 3" just prior to you getting the car, not sure exactly when they withdrew it due to the big bug in it. But that said, I'd have thought they'd have been updates to other modules that they'd still have applied...maybe ALL updates were paused until the problem was rectified???
The dealer did state that all the software updates were done. But as I cannot charge unlocked I think that is not true

You are partially right. 2nd Generation Comfort System update prior to 24/10/20 did not include charging while unlocked.

From that date it did!

The MG Tech has to apply all the ticks in their software ‘in the right order’ else you loose functionality. Ie you don’t get the charging while unlocked, if he did it in the wrong order! Which is why some cars have it and some don’t even though they were updated at similar times.

Training.......
Sounds like someone missed a tick during my updates then! Although it doesn't bother me either way about charging locked\unlocked whilst on AC, I worry what else might have been missed that does matter and I'm in 2 minds whether to chase up with the dealer. Bearing in mind If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom