Bonnet Supports

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but, whilst were on the subject of opening the bonnet to check things, does the car have a low washer fluid warning or is that something we need to check under the (heavy) bonnet ?
Hi Kithmo,

Don't think so, but you are right the bonnet is heavy? and I have weak wrists (from playing too much Squash when I was younger, I think) so I have to look after them for other activities.

Regards

Frank

Hi All I thought I would post this thread to show you the bonnet supports I have fitted. It makes it a lot easier to open the bonnet when checking fluids etc etc. Pop the bonnet, release the catch and give it a gentle lift and the bonnet opens itself, and no bonnet support is in the way.

View attachment 485

This is where you can buy them: struts they came quite quickly and if you need help to fit just ask.

Regards

Frank

PS When you open the link and look at the photographs you will notice (or you may not) that the mounting points they show are NOT the ones I used. I spent quite a bit of time wondering if they had sent me the wrong struts because if you tried to fit them as per their photographs you would find the struts about 25cm too short.
Any chance of a close up where the strut attaches to the bonnet please? However I fit them the bonnet doesn't quite close fully at the back.

Hi,

I will come back to you with some pictures soon.

Regards

Frank
Hi again,

Sorry about this but when I was fitting mine I tried a few things and I thought I had solved the problem that you are having (I had it as well). It has been sorted now but means taking a bit out of your scuttle plate that you might not want to do. These are the pictures that show you what I mean, just bear in mind that I have cut too much out and the red line shows where I think you need to cut to.

The first image titled rear bonnet is the shut lines with my bonnet stays fitted after my scuttle plate mod. the other image is the place you need to cut out to enable the gas strut to fit into (it is the scuttle plate fouling the gas strut that causes the rear of the bonnet to lift).

Fitting points to the car are the top of the bonnet hinge for the gas struts and the piston ends connects to the point to the left and right of the plastic headlamp mounting strips. See other picture showing the mounting points.

It does work well just need the slight mod to the scuttle plate to stop the fouling of the gas strut.

Regards

Frank
Hood stays.JPG
lhs.jpg
rear bonnet .JPG

Hi again,

Sorry about this but when I was fitting mine I tried a few things and I thought I had solved the problem that you are having (I had it as well). It has been sorted now but means taking a bit out of your scuttle plate that you might not want to do. These are the pictures that show you what I mean, just bear in mind that I have cut too much out and the red line shows where I think you need to cut to.

The first image titled rear bonnet is the shut lines with my bonnet stays fitted after my scuttle plate mod. the other image is the place you need to cut out to enable the gas strut to fit into (it is the scuttle plate fouling the gas strut that causes the rear of the bonnet to lift).

Fitting points to the car are the top of the bonnet hinge for the gas struts and the piston ends connects to the point to the left and right of the plastic headlamp mounting strips. See other picture showing the mounting points.

It does work well just need the slight mod to the scuttle plate to stop the fouling of the gas strut.

Regards

Frank View attachment 592View attachment 588View attachment 585
Sorted, thanks for the help.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom