• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Boot not locking

Ingo Wilson

Standard Member
Reaction score
Initially I thought the warning light on the dashboard meant that the boot lid wasn't closed properly. On investigation I found the lock was failing to engage. At the time, just before this lockdown, we had luggage on board and we're concerned having to leave the car unattended during stops on the way home. I can't find anything in the handbook to suggest that I'd triggered a switch. My MG dealer suggested I try the second remote which came with the car but this also failed to lock the car. My first service is due next month and this fault will then be attended to.
I suggest all EV owners check their boot lock as the dash warning light is no longer lit on my car.

Initially I thought the warning light on the dashboard meant that the boot lid wasn't closed properly. On investigation I found the lock was failing to engage. At the time, just before this lockdown, we had luggage on board and we're concerned having to leave the car unattended during stops on the way home. I can't find anything in the handbook to suggest that I'd triggered a switch. My MG dealer suggested I try the second remote which came with the car but this also failed to lock the car. My first service is due next month and this fault will then be attended to.
I suggest all EV owners check their boot lock as the dash warning light is no longer lit on my car.
Please forgive me if this sounds stupid. When you checked the boot and found it unlocked had you still got the key fob in close proximity? Like the charging hatch it can be opened independently if you have the fob.

On a related subject.....when we go shopping, I open the boot (as the keys are in my pocket) start to unload and start taking the trolley back....when my wife shouts me to unlock her door! I find this irritating......not my wife shouting, :oops: but that when you unlock the boot, it doesn't unlock the rest of the car........as it would if I blipped the remote!

It happened again on Thursday ......and it was tipping it down with rain.😑

On a related subject.....when we go shopping, I open the boot (as the keys are in my pocket) start to unload and start taking the trolley back....when my wife shouts me to unlock her door! I find this irritating......not my wife shouting, :oops: but that when you unlock the boot, it doesn't unlock the rest of the car........as it would if I blipped the remote!

Is you wife in the car or outside when it locks ?

Outside in the rain....the car hadn't unlocked......Just the boot. My fault, I should have unlocked the whole thing and not just relied on my proximity thingy to unlock the boot....

Have you solved this yet?

The boot will automatically unlock if the key is lose by. To check the boot is locked, make sure the key is well out of range - 2m or more away from the car.

On the remote you have boot open and a general unlock. Unlocking the boot using the remote is the same as opening the boot. If you want the car to be open then you have to press the unlock button on the remote, or the keyless entry button on the drivers or passengers door.

There is nothing wrong with the design.

This Forum rocks💯%. I couldn't see anything about in the handbook and the MG Service Dept knew nothing about this either. You guys did!
Quite a useful feature as I do all the shopping so many thanks.

This is where having a Faraday pouch comes in handy. I close my boot, put the key fob into my pouch and then check the boot - locked. Everyone should have one of these to prevent theft via the relay method and if it’s large enough, you can put your phone in it and not be disturbed by calls...

Thanks Guys, ordered Faraday pouch today, hopefully It will come in good time before the handover date.

If I was you I'd unlock the car get in and let her unload and take the trolley back :) :devilish:

Last edited:
This is quite a useful safety device. Boot only unlocks so hat doors cannot be opened by those intent on theft of contents. If you want to open the car, either blip it with the key or press one of the door buttons. However, unless the door is opened within a short time it will auto lock again.

This is quite a useful safety device. Boot only unlocks so hat doors cannot be opened by those intent on theft of contents. If you want to open the car, either blip it with the key or press one of the door buttons. However, unless the door is opened within a short time it will auto lock again.
30 seconds. Which is why I always open a door when I stop a charge, so I have plenty of time to take out the plug or it locks in place again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom