Boot / trunk opens randomly

JeanValjean

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My MG4 seemingly opens the boot randomly when I am charging it, or taking it off charge, suddenly the boot will click open. And then if I actually lift it up while the car is locked (say, to close it) it will trigger the alarm. It's quite sporadic and strange and I wondered if anyone has an explanation.

Thank you :)

Do you keep your keys in your pocket, causing the fob to be randomly pressed on the unlock boot section ? ( always wondered about this when driving or walking away from vehicle )

Doesn’t sound like an accidental press of the button. Otherwise lifting the boot lid wouldn’t trigger the alarm.
Might be a software glitch or perhaps a defective boot lock or lock sensor.
This is a looooooong shot: do you have water ingress into the boot?

Yesterday, when I was going to put groceries in the trunk, the alarm went off. I pressed the trunk switch but didn't hear it unlock and the trunk opened directly without the usual delay when you press the switch and wait for it to open the lock. As far as I know, the car was otherwise locked and unlocked when I switched off the alarm. The same thing happened once last summer when the car was a couple of months old.

I have noticed a couple of cases in recent weeks where the trunk lid has not been locked, in these cases the trunk lid has closed so much that the switch that shows that the lid is open has not shown that the lid is open. But when I've driven over bumps in the road the trunk lid open indicator has flashed in the instrument panel, when I go out to check the lid appears to be closed but can be opened without pressing the switch but closes and locks when the lid gets a bit of speed.

I will report this to dealer as I think the problem is either that the lock (or indicator switch) is slightly out of perfect alignment or that the lock is not quite as it should be. In any case, you should probably report this to the dealer with a view to the warranty.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back