BP Pulse intro membership deal.

slmorgan42

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hey

I was just looking at using a BP Pulse charger and came cross their current intro deal (see below). Seems quite a good deal.

I was just wondering if people with membership have they found many free chargers via the membership?

Membership Intro
When you download the bp pulse app and register and upgrade to a full bp pulse membership subscription (£7.85 inc VAT per month), we’ll give you your first month’s subscription free, plus a £9 charging credit each month for the following 5 months. Total of £45 credit is only valid if you remain a full member for 6 months from registration.

They're not talking about 'free chargers' but a free first month. You are paying 5x7.85=£39.25 for a credit of £45. Not much of a saving. There is also a discount on the electricity of around 12-15 p per kW hour, so you need to consider how much you will use their chargers as opposed to, possibly cheaper chargers.

They're not talking about 'free chargers' but a free first month. You are paying 5x7.85=£39.25 for a credit of £45. Not much of a saving. I presume there is also a discount on the electricity, so you need to consider how much you will use their chargers as opposed to, possibly cheaper chargers.
Sorry the free charger part was in another paragraph I didnt copy.

I think it is probably useful if you use BP a lot.

Quote:
You’ll also get access to free charging on selected bp pulse points, as well as a physical access card

Check out their map to see free chargers. They are only 7kW so a saving of 95p per hour. You could lose that in a cup of coffee, drunk while waiting. On the other hand, if you are shopping or working, it may be worth while. You would need to charge for about 9hrs per month to beak even

Last edited:
Check out their map to see free chargers. They are only 7kW so a saving of 95p per hour. You could lose that in a cup of coffee, drunk while waiting. On the other hand, if you are shopping or working, it may be worth while. You would need to charge for about 9hrs per month to beak even
Yeah I am running the numbers and think it is not worth it unless you already use BP a lot.

I have used BP chargers a fair bit and always worked so far, though not the fastest. Some say to avoid them though.
I think they had a poor reputation when they took over the network from Polar, but the newer chargers are apparently from what I have read (no personal experience) quite good/reliable.

BP = oil company = very profit motivated = no way you are going to get any kind of super deal from them.

BP (under another name) used to run Chargeplace Scotland and made a complete pigs ear of it.

I have a BP Pulse subscription and I make pretty good use of it (at 26k miles per year I do a fair amount of public charging). I've only ever had a problem once and that was at Milton Keynes so no surprise there, as the chargers are about 300 years old now.
The big plus point is the RFID card, saves fannying about with apps and worrying whether you have internet. Plug it, scan your card, off it goes. Then once a month I get one bill to shove through expenses. This combined with ElectroVerse from Octopus and it's reduced my paperwork quite a lot! Definitely worth looking at if you travel for business.
Simon.

I dont think it's just the BP Membership scheme that should be researched closely, any scheme should have the numbers crunched.
While waiting delivery of the wife's Trophy, I looked at who owns the local charge points that I will most likely use, ( I consider myself lucky that I can home charge eve though I do not have a drive), and found the no scheme would be of any benefit and believe that the companies are relying on those who jump to EV without doing any research and buy in thinking they are getting a good deal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom