Brake Discs

leakingelectrons

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just looking for a little advice!

My 2020 ZS EV Gen1 has just failed its first MOT. Specifically, it failed on both front and rear brake discs, with the comment, "Brake Disc Significantly and obviously worn". Now I will admit that the brake discs are slightly grooved, but they're nothing terribly unusual for a three year old car. They're certainly not overly corroded or worn, and they're functioning absolutely fine, no grinding or juddering even when braking in neutral. The garage shrugged their shoulders when I asked for a price to get it sorted, with them saying that the brake discs are main dealer only.

So, off I went to my local MG dealer, who took a look at the discs and said, "these failed an MOT? they're not that bad, we wouldn't recommend replacement yet". Indeed when they serviced it a few months ago the brakes got a green tick. I did ask the dealer for a quote to get them replaced anyway, which came back at an eye watering £906.

I've since booked in for another MOT at another centre to get a formal second opinion, so maybe it'll pass (unfortunately my local MG dealer doesn't do MOTs). However, if it does fail again, is it really my only option to get them done at a main dealer? I've read that discs for the ZS EV are not the same as the petrol ZS, but is it true that there are no after-market discs available at all?

I'd be grateful for any advice in case I do need to source some after-market discs. £906 just seems absurd for brake discs.

Where did you go first time for the MOT? It wasn't Halfrauds or KwikFitup was it? (They're known for [ allegedly, for the forum lawyers ;) ] using MOTs as a revenue-stream generator).

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone recently posted that they'd sourced their own pads and fitted them. Try the search function.

Also Martin Lewis suggests using an MOT only centre who do emergency service vehicles. They're not interested in generating income from fails. I think there's a link to test centres on his website.

It's the discs that failed - the pads are fine (even visibly, they've got loads left on them). The MOT was done at a local Protyre franchise, but I'm confused why they've just washed their hands of it!

As they don't measure the disc what was the brake efficiency as otherwise should it just have been an advisory.

Thanks for the replies all. The car went in for MOT this evening with another centre and passed with no issues. The discs went down as an advisory, but the tester advised that even this was only due to the visible scoring and that they were otherwise perfectly serviceable - he said the car passed the braking test no problem at all.

The tester did mention that he saw on the computer that the car had previously failed because of the brakes. His exact words: "They're lying to you, those brakes are absolutely fine. I'd report the tester to the DVSA if I were you - that's taking the p***!"

I've contacted the garage's head office to complain and to seek a refund.

As they don't measure the disc what was the brake efficiency as otherwise should it just have been an advisory.
You are correct, if the braking efficiency was achieved then it should only have been as an advisory not a fail. I've got a MGF and it has had pitted rear disks for several MOTs and passed with usual advisory

It's the discs that failed - the pads are fine (even visibly, they've got loads left on them). The MOT was done at a local Protyre franchise, but I'm confused why they've just washed their hands of it!
Don't forget to give them the review they deserve on TrustPilot. Name and shame.

It's a worrying trend, My 2020 ZS EV is due for it's first MOT in November so I've taken pics of all four brake discs that are in perfect order in case they take the pish. (y)

It's a worrying trend, My 2020 ZS EV is due for it's first MOT in November so I've taken pics of all four brake discs that are in perfect order in case they take the pish. (y)

I got the month wrong for the MOT date & it goes in tomorrow for it's third service & 1st MOT.

Well no problem with the brakes or discs, It went through the MOT with flying colours. When I picked it up the service chap said it's had two software updates (The first updates in three years) I didn't ask him as I thought they would be on the paperwork they gave me but nothing on the paperwork.
I vaguely remember him saying something about the touch screen :unsure: I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

One thing I noticed today after those software updates yesterday was the MG symbol was pulsating (Balancing) before it reached 100%. I charged it up from 53% to 80% & when I went into the garage to check on it I noticed it balancing when it was at 75% & still charging, I've never seen it doing that prior to the updates.

Battery balancing should commence after the HV battery reaches 100% SOC.
On the Gen1 ZS EV the MG badge on the grill should be pulsing ( breath ) when the car is taking on a A/C charge.
When the balance cycle is in progress, the MG badge will omit a CONSTANT slow glow.

Below is taken from the manual.

Gen 1 Charging  2023-12-06 at 19.39.59.png

On the Gen1 ZS EV the MG badge on the grill should be pulsing ( breath ) when the car is taking on a A/C charge.
When the balance cycle is in progress, the MG badge will omit a CONSTANT slow glow.

View attachment 22029

Yes you're absolutely correct & I should have known that, I put it down to me having a senior moment. :rolleyes:

View attachment 22029
I know the thread is Brake-Discs - But thanks that was useful

I had ours on the old Granny charger last night - Never Saw the front breathing lamp illuminate tho - And this morning it was at 100% - I think it was around the 60% when it was plugged in - Its having a HVCC s/w check / Update in 12 days time as we had charging issues on a public DC - So not overly concerned currently..

I know the thread is Brake-Discs - But thanks that was useful
Sorry - Yes of course you’re right 🤣.
It’s so easy to get side tracked with a curved ball 🥎 thrown in 👍.
See … He we go again, remember when the car has entered the balance cycle, the MG badge will display a constant soft glow.
When it finishes the balance the car will send a signal to the wall box and it will return to the standby state and the MG badge will go out.
Stay focused, brake disc’s I hear you cry 🤣.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom