Brake Squeal

I don’t think modern brakes have shims anymore, there is a type of padding on the back of new discs that does away with them
It's a good 10 years or so since I worked on any brake pads, the last time was on SWMBO's 2006 Gen 2 Prius back in 2010, for a similar problem, a squeal from the front brakes. Hers had anti-squeal shims which weren't working obviously. Dealer didn't want to know without charging to look at it as it was out of the then 3 year warranty. All I did was strip the pads and shims out (one side was worn more than the other) and clean everything up and put some Coppaslip on the guide pins, in the grooves where the pads slide and a thin smear on the backs of the pads and all was well.

Hi
We’re in Scotland on the Moray coast. Charge Place Scotland runs most of the chargers up here. A good deal of them are free, but you need to join and get the card.
There’s a few BP and Shell who ch are 29p / KWh as a visitor using a credit card. I use Zap-Map for distance drive plans.
Hi, I'm from Yorkshire and planning a trip up to Scotland soon. I have my route planned which includes some Charge Place Scotland chargers, am I able to just turn up to the chargers and use them as a 'guest' or do I need to get a card in advance? (If so, any idea how long this usually takes, please?). And is the card for Scottish residents only? Thanks.

Try bedding them in. It might save the visit to the dealership. Good luck
I will have a service appointment, but it takes some time. Probably not enough copper paste so the brake doesnt move back nicely.
+
Still waiting for my delivery fixes from mid April. Service and communication between the dealership and MG does not work at all. So long I have to live with the break noises. Super embarrassing…

Let me know how it goes 👍 Where in Germany are you? I have friends in Hanover, Sarstedt and Minden. We are planning a trip maybe later this year if not definitely next year, how easy and costly is it to find public charging?
Nice to meet you
Im living near Stuttgart. Super easy to find charging stations. enbw (mobility + app) works fine and for free (fast) charging I recommend some supermarkets like Aldi, Lidl, Kaufland and Ikea.

Hi
We’re in Scotland on the Moray coast. Charge Place Scotland runs most of the chargers up here. A good deal of them are free, but you need to join and get the card.
There’s a few BP and Shell who ch are 29p / KWh as a visitor using a credit card. I use Zap-Map for distance drive plans.
lived at lossi for 6 years nice area, weather constant really just like California but they have summer all year round, Moray it's autumn lol

The last brakes I did any work on had stainless springs on the back. I wonder if they don’t exist these days. I’ve identified the front right as the culprit.. I’m not to bothered so it can wait till either the first service or I find time to do a wheels off clean - can’t clean this design properly without removal I think?

I don’t think modern brakes have shims anymore, there is a type of padding on the back of new discs that does away with them
An update for those interested in this subject.
I took the car to the dealer for a failed reversing sensor replacement. Asked them to look into the brake steel issue. Guess what, the technician heard nothing but recommended cleaning the brakes (not under warranty) so I said No. I wasn’t going to pay good money at their labour rates for something that in my humble opinion didn’t need doing. When I picked the car up the reception said to try reversing and they’d send send the technician out to assess the problem. Ok, good customer service, but could I get it to squeal - no chance…
Since then I have now reduced the problem noise down to the front and only when quite a bit of lock on the steering mostly needed backing out of tight spots. Haven’t got around to taking the wheels off for a closer look yet though.

Hi all, on this forum there are several threads on this subject of Brake squealing in reverse, so why we have another is beyond me, and it’s not just on this subject, there are many that are on the same subject in different threads and at times I find it infuriating but not sure what if anything can be done about it, moan over.

My MG5 has had this very problem brakes squealing from being about 6 weeks old, it is now 7 months old with over 7000 miles on it and it still has the same, problem with brake squeal in reverse all be it now more intermittent.
When it first started it was every morning after standing all night my dealer as had the car on 3/4 occasions and kept it over night on one of them, and as never cured the problem, I have ask them to strip the pads out clean and apply copperslip where necessary but I’m sure they never have, I have been told twice they have cleaned and ADJUSTED the brakes and I have said adjusted!!! what on a disc brake is there to adjust their reply was, well was it should be fine now but the next morning just as bad as ever all this was back in May to July.
The last time in July after they had so called fixed it I rang them the next day to tell them they had not been successful and it was still doing it and as I was going on holiday, I would be in touch at a later date when I returned their reply was well a good run might just sort it out so see how it goes, well it got no better really but now has I said it has become more intermittent maybe 2/3 times a week, each time the dealer had a go at it they could not get it to replicate the squeal, even when they kept overnight they said nothing the next morning, I must be hearing things I thought, so I get my wife to video me reversing from our driveway on to separate days and showed that to the service people who just shrugged the shoulders after watching and hearing the videos before having another go at it.
It was in the workshop maybe 15 minutes and came out with a fair amount of copperslip speared on the visible parts of the rear pads but there is no way them pads had been removed in my opinion in such a short space of time, I must admit I sort of gave up on it but it is still there now and again so I have left it alone hoping it might yet clear up completely but I’m not sure if it will but I have more and better things to do than sit around in the service dept time after time that’s for sure.
It’s a great car that is nice to drive but these Petty little problems should not be happening and if and when they do they should be fix quickly.
Les

Les, I know you shouldn't have to do this but a visit from James Coates from Cleevely Motor Group may be the answer. From his videos he appears to be an expert on all things EV and totally honest when dealing with customers. He does EV maintenance on the move (mobile!). Wouldn't be done under warranty though so would cost.

Just a thought.

Les, I know you shouldn't have to do this but a visit from James Coates from Cleevely Motor Group may be the answer. From his videos he appears to be an expert on all things EV and totally honest when dealing with customers. He does EV maintenance on the move (mobile!). Wouldn't be done under warranty though so would cost.

Just a thought.
I totally agree.
James is a very knowledgable guy and extremely friendly.
Brake services are a regular item on his calls list.
Tesla and Nissan are high on the list of his regular customers.
He is not scared 😱 if travelling either !.

Just a thought.
Hi Jamesie thank you for you note yeh I know about James and Cleevely Motors as I have seen his videos and spoke to so of their people at Fully Charged show few weeks back about their setup i have stopped worrying about it now because it’s normal only that first movement of the car in a morning and then won’t do it again all day after that, and as I said it is now more intermittent than it was so not every day like it was but I thank you again for your message.
Les

Hi all, on this forum there are several threads on this subject of Brake squealing in reverse, so why we have another is beyond me, and it’s not just on this subject, there are many that are on the same subject in different threads and at times I find it infuriating but not sure what if anything can be done about it, moan over.
It's because people don't bother to search before starting a new thread (obviously LOL).

Probably consistent with the modern throwaway society we live in. :)

Thanks Guys for your comments, good to know I’m not the only one experiencing this issue.
Unfortunately too far away!!
I’m not overly bothered as I’m 100% certain it’s not a safety issue. It’s annoying that’s all! This will be our first winter with the car, so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes especially up here in Scotland with the main roads salted. I can see the disc corrosion making the situation worse, even though it’s garaged every night it’ll need a regular fw rinse. A good clean during the first service next spring, you never know a bit more wear and it’ll quieten down. 🤞🤞

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom