Brakes failed

Just a heads up that we had some thing similar @RichRead

Just before impact you can hear the motor speed increase as if the accelerator has been pressed at the same moment you would have been braking. Very strange.
At 6-7 seconds you hear an increase in noise in whatever it is, but no discernable lurching forwards at that point or after

I read somewhere that every modification that you do to the car that is not MG approved , voids the warranty.

Check your booklet , it says it somewhere.

But still....
So if we stick a sticker to the windscreen of a brand new mg zs then our 7 year warranty is voided?
@RichRead MG's response is unbelievable, I will watch the outcome of your case with interest.

In the video just as the driver made the turn onto the driveway, if you listen you can hear the sound of the electric motor "spinning up" which would suggest to me that there was an accidental press of the accelerator pedal.

In the video just as the driver made the turn onto the driveway, if you listen you can hear the sound of the electric motor "spinning up" which would suggest to me that there was an accidental press of the accelerator pedal.
Yes, but as I said in my previous post, there is no discernable 'lurching forward'. you hear the noise, but there is no co-related acceleration.

Yes, but as I said in my previous post, there is no discernable 'lurching forward'. you hear the noise, but there is no co-related acceleration.
May not have been noticed due to the "up and over" motion coming onto the driveway. Funny things happen to perception immediately after an accident, even in the moment of that accident too. Not saying you are wrong, and not saying I am right, just my view. Only someone investigating the brakes after the incident would be able to tell if they had failed or not. Plus I wouldn't mind betting that the car has an idea of what happened, I don't know what information they store when they have a crash.

ABS works by driving the pads off the discs to allow the wheel to spin up. I think ABS relies on TPMS to sense wheel rotation. If the TPMS signal is absent when the brake is depressed could this activate ABS, which never gets a wheel rotation signal so never reapplies the brakes. This could interact with ASC, which may apply a small torque to spin the wheel back up and hey presto a car that won't stop. Initiating fault could be voltage perturbations on the 12v system but I will caveat that with the experience I have of "jump starting" the car when the 12v battery died and although I had a dash full of flickering faults, basic drive functionality meant I could get it to the dealer. Hopefully once the error codes on the latest very public failure are analysed it will be a straightforward recall. Statistically this is a very low frequency fault so it really will be a problem for MG to diagnose given that cars don't have black boxes so all they have is fault codes and not telemetry to go on. From a safety perspective a slow speed accident is unlikely to result in death or life changing injury so probably important to keep this in the perspective that brake failures do happen although one would rather not own a car with such a latent design flaw (not that in 10,000 miles my car has ever not stopped). My £0.02.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom