Buying a cable for public charging

Bermudabob

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,
Had my ZS for about 2 weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm now looking for a cable so that I can use a lot of the public charge points that do slow charging, but require you to have your own. I've found a 32 amp cable for about the same price as a 16amp one. So my question is, can you use the 32amp one on the ZS with no problem? If so, I'd like to get this one to avoid having to buy another in the future when I eventually upgrade (long term planning, I know...)

Rob

Hi all,
Had my ZS for about 2 weeks now and am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm now looking for a cable so that I can use a lot of the public charge points that do slow charging, but require you to have your own. I've found a 32 amp cable for about the same price as a 16amp one. So my question is, can you use the 32amp one on the ZS with no problem? If so, I'd like to get this one to avoid having to buy another in the future when I eventually upgrade (long term planning, I know...)

Rob
Look on this forum there was a thread about this and a link to get one for about £96, hopefully offer is still on

Powerbulbs originally had the attached at a lower price (£123’ish) and a discount code BASKET25 brought it down to £96. They look to have upped the price, but the discount code might still work

Hi all,

Rob
If you are looking to future proof then you should look for a 3 phase type 2 cable which will permit charging at 22kW when you have a car that is capable. They are less than £20 more. I know the MG max is 7kW on AC but if you are obviously thinking of future upgrades. Depends on whether there are any 22kW chargers within your travel area.

Powerbulbs originally had the attached at a lower price (£123’ish) and a discount code BASKET25 brought it down to £96. They look to have upped the price, but the discount code might still work

They put the price up to 144 pound but got the cable for 108 with the basket 25 code still cheapest I've seen

If you are looking to future proof then you should look for a 3 phase type 2 cable which will permit charging at 22kW when you have a car that is capable. They are less than £20 more. I know the MG max is 7kW on AC but if you are obviously thinking of future upgrades. Depends on whether there are any 22kW chargers within your travel area.
I ordered a cable via ebay with a discount code, so got it for £99 delivered.
Discovered when it arrived that all the pins are occupied in the plugs, so I assume it is a 3 phase cable.
I seems bulky enough and takes a bit of wrangling.

Just re-read the description which says single phase....

Now reduced to £114 here

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Always go for the 32amp lead. Unless there is a special reason for the 16amp lead (like given a free cable).
Three phase isnt needed for ZS and is heavy but good future proofing or if you got another car that can do three phase charging.

I got mine at EVCables
Type 2 Charging Cables

They appear pricier and add about £10 at the end for shipping but they do price matching. You will need to open a ticket and quote your source and they will match the price (did in my case...). The cables appear good quality and a lot less bulkier compared to some of the other options I have seen. Comes with 5yr warranty for domestic use.

You need a 32A cable. The ZS can charge at up to ~7kW on AC.
I got a single phase cable but wondering if I have made a mistake here and instead I should have gotten a 3-phase cable !
Say if I want to use the 22kW public charger (like the ones at Gridserve - see image below) with my own cable - do I need a single-phase (or) 3-phase 32 Amp Type 2 cable.

grid-22kw.png

Can we use a 3 phase cable for single phase charging ?
Is so, what's the disadvantage of buying a 3 phase cable, is just heavier ?

Are we talking about a type 2 to type 2 cable?
Are they really that expensive - There's no electronics involved is there? simply a couple of plugs with a reasonably thick cable between them (surely less than £5 worth of copper per metre)?

I think the MG branded cable (with a bag!) is around £185

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom