Buying an MG4 Trophy that has been on the forecourt for months

Lee Morris

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I wonder if anyone could offer any advice on this. This is my first car and therefore first purchase.

So I'm buying an MG4 from a dealership and they have the volcanic orange Trophy model. They have 2 in stock. One of the is in the showroom and is perfect, the other is on the forecourt and looks a bit tired. It seems likes it's been there for some time as I noticed some rust on the central nut of the wheels (there were no alloys on it).

Should I be asking for an amount off the car as it's not "brand new" from the factory or even go to another dealership and wait to get a brand new car that hasn't arrived yet?

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_113717.jpg
    IMG_20230723_113717.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 162
The rusty central nut is common enough. It is one of the things mentioned to check when picking up the car. Happens on new ones too, probably from the weeks it takes to ship from China

The rusty central nut is common enough. It is one of the things mentioned to check when picking up the car. Happens on new ones too, probably from the weeks it takes to ship from China
So should they be replacing them before they hand over the car?

If you order a new one and have to wait it will have a rear wiper and central headrest both of which aren't really needed. If you are after a Trophy it will also have 18" wheels with different wheel covers.

The one on the forecourt could be a good deal depending on its price. Is it an ex demonstrator or a reject and what's the mileage?

To be honest I haven't asked if it's an ex demonstrator or a reject and don't know the millage. We have only put down a £99 refundable deposit so will ask those questions tonight.

Turns out that car isn't the one we'll be getting but one that's on the "compound" and arrived in the UK last month. Will be signing off on it tomorrow but I guess I still have the opportunity to look it over and request things at the point of pick up?

That's a Phase 1 Trophy ... you can tell by the 17" wheels. ;)

Edit - we cross-posted. To answer your question - yes. Don't pay for it until you've given it a look-over.

That's a Phase 1 Trophy ... you can tell by the 17" wheels. ;)

Edit - we cross-posted. To answer your question - yes. Don't pay for it until you've given it a look-over.
So we sign off on it electronically via email but then hand cash over at the point of pick up?

Phase 1 is what we are looking for

So we sign off on it electronically via email but then hand cash over at the point of pick up?

I wouldn't commit to anything until you are happy, there are a lot of phase 1s out there and they will be likely to do some deals to get rid of them before the new cars arrive

If the car has been at a compound for a while, check the tyres to make sure there are no flat spots on the tyres from it standing in one position for a long time. Test drive it and listen for any tyre rumbles.

The scruffy looking one was probably a demonstrator.

They'll probably want a bank transfer or payment by debit card because of money laundering. Might be worth warning your bank that a large amount of money is going out of your account beforehand.

Be a foolish dealer that uses a scruffy car as demonstrator, or lets it get scruffy.
A demo car should be the best a car can possibly be at all times.
Within reason ... if the car is just back from a test drive and the next customer is waiting for their test drive, they won't be able to do much to make it look pristine, especially if the weather isn't good.

Be a foolish dealer that uses a scruffy car as demonstrator, or lets it get scruffy.
A demo car should be the best a car can possibly be at all times.
I agree, but it does happen. The one I test drove was a scruffy blue one, enough to put anyone off the blue colour TBH.
It was just after a few heavy downpours and some windy weather.

It certainly helps if it has received a wash prior to the test drive, but to be honest I have already done my research on the model / spec and features prior to the test drive.
At this point, I purely concentrating in the way the car drives / handles and performs, accessing the comfort level / wind & road noise etc.
I try not to allow myself to get side tracked by playing with any of the "Toy's" either, plenty of time for that at a later date.
Also, if its only a ten minute drive to the end of the road and back it will not be taking place.
I don't want to be accompanied by any sales staff either.
Constantly waffling on about all of the features etc, but never being able to answer a lot of the technical details of the car that I am really interested in.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back