Call me cards

Jomarkh

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, has anyone played with the idea of making something like a business card to put on people's windscreen so they can contact you when they have finished charging or on your own windscreen for someone to call you if your charge has finished

On the few occasions when I do use public chargers, there has always been plenty of un-used capacity...I suppose that will change in time.

I do think that there’s a real business opportunity here to come up with a queuing type system that is simple and effective using technology. As EV’s become more prominent there will be more queuing.
We don’t have a car app - but most EV’s do and these give charging status alerts - linking that to sending the next in line a message is not that difficult as long as there is an agreed way of linking. It’s important to bear in mind that most people will not want to share personal data like their phone number with a stranger at a charging station. The lack of an MG app limits our cars in this area.

Hi, has anyone played with the idea of making something like a business card to put on people's windscreen so they can contact you when they have finished charging or on your own windscreen for someone to call you if your charge has finished
When I had my previous PHEV - If I decided to use one the four charging posts at a large shopping centre, I would leave a note in my window asking people to call me if they where in urgent need of the post and I would return and move my car.
I never received a call.

In the absence of an MG app I think it’s always good to set a timer on your phone to remind you when to return to your car. Don’t forget there are also excess standing charges on some charges Which aims to prevent misuse. Tesla use excess charges too.

Had a quick look at the needtocharge App. It relies on building up a database of number plates and contacts as far as I can see.which is great but I can’t help thinking that the type of people who hog chargers won’t have their number on there! 🤪

Had a quick look at the needtocharge App. It relies on building up a database of number plates and contacts as far as I can see.which is great but I can’t help thinking that the type of people who hog chargers won’t have their number on there! 🤪
There are some misconceptions about 'hogging' chargers. Basically rapid (50kW+ DC) chargers are a potentially scarce resource which someone might be relying on to complete their journey. Due to the way charging slows as the car gets closer to full, you should never be charging above 90% and should be back at the car ready to move it before it hits 90%. Sometimes a selfish person might leave their car on a free rapid charger without much thought for others, but it's normally more about education than attitude.

AC chargers are a totally different concept. They are slow and require long time periods to get any meaningful amount of charge. The idea is typically that you plug in for as long as you want to be parked there and there wouldn't be an expectation for you to move until you are done doing whatever you're there for, even if your car was already fully charged.

The Need to Charge app is more about putting people into communication with each other rather than a commitment to move off a charger if someone else wants it. I would always move if someone has a greater need than myself, but I might be off doing something for a while and could simply let them know how long I intend to be or suggest an alternative. I have the app but have never been contacted through it because I've never left my car on a charger that someone else wanted to use; the public charging locations that I frequent typically have multiple available chargers.

In the absence of an MG app I think it’s always good to set a timer on your phone to remind you when to return to your car. Don’t forget there are also excess standing charges on some charges Which aims to prevent misuse. Tesla use excess charges too.
This what a good hearted EV owner do, they would return and move their cars.
However, what I have seen on a regular basis, is PHEV’s plugging into a 7kw post at a shopping centre and leaving it there ALL day.
Either shopping or maybe an employee of the shopping centre.
I have no problem with people using the charging posts, but as we all know, the empty to full capacity on a PHEV battery is only about 3 hours.
So fine, come and move your car so somebody else can grab a much needed charge.
I have also witnessed cars plugged in, but not pulling a charge, just to try and justify the use of the EV space !.
Do they not understand that other EV owners can tell when these type of stupid tricks are done ?.
This sort, have no intension of setting a reminder on their phones, so they can return and move the car.
They must arrive for work before the shopping centre opens and claim the EV bay and chargers, before anybody else can arrive.
On a few visits pre C19 - I made a quick mental snap shoot of the cars using the chargers, a few weeks latter when we returned, the same cars where in the very same EV bays !.
Two BMWs ( One black / One Dark Grey ) and both PHEV’s.
Both still there when we returned some 4 hours latter.
The charging must have completed hours ago, the selfish buggers !.
I would not mind, but there was over 200 spare parking spaces just 100 yards away.

It has to eventually be controlled by the service provider and not left up to the owner. I think most chargers can tell the state of charge of the charging vehicle.

i used to see a lot of call me cards in phone boxs lol
Alan Carr.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom