Can’t disconnect from PodPoint charger

Spinynorman

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all
i have a Mk 1 20 plate ZS EV which over the past 3 years has been fine.
I’m a low-usage user so don’t need to charge that often and have never needed a CCS charge.
My problem is that I use a free charge PodPoint charging point at my Local Sainsbury superstore. I always only charge to about 80% but try as I might, I cannot stop the charge. There’s no stop charge on the app, just a claim charge to go past the first 15 minutes and I’ve tried the stand in front of the car and lock/unlock multiple times workaround but nothing works.
I just end up having to pop the lid and use the manual release.
it’s had its 2nd service, so should be up to date on firmware - it charges with the door lock open/closed so I assume the BMS is up to date…
just so frustrated with this.
(it’s on PCP and I’ll probably upgrade to a Mk 2 when this runs out in 3 months or so, but gonna buy outright this time as interest rate is ridiculous now…).
Any ideas anyone?

Did you try the stop charge in the car?
Mk 1 doesn’t have an app or in-car control over charging in its firmware. The PodPoint also can’t be switched off using the app - it only breaks the charging link when the batteries are 100%. You can see this on the charger as it’s indicator light-strip goes from green to purple/blue.

Mk 1 doesn’t have an app or in-car control over charging in its firmware. The PodPoint also can’t be switched off using the app - it only breaks the charging link when the batteries are 100%. You can see this on the charger as it’s indicator light-strip goes from green to purple/blue.
With PodPoint, you have to stop the charge in the car. You're not the first to find stopping and releasing the cable awkward with PodPoint, even when you can stop it in the car.

With PodPoint, you have to stop the charge in the car. You're not the first to find stopping and releasing the cable awkward with PodPoint, even when you can stop it in the car.
The only way to stop the charge on the 2020 ZS is by unlocking the car and the OP tried that.
I find unlocking the car and opening a door to prevent it auto re-locking works for me.
FWIW, I don't have the ability to charge with the car unlocked update.

The only way to stop the charge on the 2020 ZS is by unlocking the car and the OP tried that.

I find unlocking the car and opening a door to prevent it auto re-locking works for me.
FWIW, I don't have the ability to charge with the car unlocked update.
Yeah I think the BMS update wasn’t thought out when they switched on unlocked door charging,
as the Mk 1 has no control over the charge, it relies on the charging post to break the link and the only way this is going to happen is with a 100% charge.
Thanks to all contributors to this - just wanted to confirm that I hadn’t missed a trick…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom