Can I kill the 'Bling' ?

Macadoodle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
On day 3 of ownership of my SE SR and largely enjoying it. As expected though, the main irritants are the lane keep assist, flashing speed sign, and above all, the BLING.
God, I swear I hear that frigging noise in my sleep now, open door, BLING, switch on lights BLING etc etc.
Now I know you can reduce its volume in 'sounds' but is there any way of turning it off ?

It emanates from the drivers door speaker alone as far as I can tell, I fully intend to get in there and disconnect it and live with a lop-sided radio if that what it takes :oops:

On day 3 of ownership of my SE SR and largely enjoying it. As expected though, the main irritants are the lane keep assist, flashing speed sign, and above all, the BLING.
God, I swear I hear that frigging noise in my sleep now, open door, BLING, switch on lights BLING etc etc.
Now I know you can reduce its volume in 'sounds' but is there any way of turning it off ?

It emanates from the drivers door speaker alone as far as I can tell, I fully intend to get in there and disconnect it and live with a lop-sided radio if that what it takes :oops:
Can you turn down the volume in the settings?

Looking at the Infotainment manual
Tap Settings
Tap Sound - Adjusts the type and volume of the system sounds/chimes.

Looking at the Infotainment manual
Tap Settings
Tap Sound - Adjusts the type and volume of the system sounds/chimes.
All I can find is a volume slider for alert sound, makes the BLING lower in volume but still obnoxious IMO, can't find a way of turning it off. 😭
Any ideas gratefully received, I'm particularly sensitive to annoying recurring noises !!!

Why does MG persist with these irritating noises! Kia are as bad! The seat belt noise when you first switch on and the boot up medley, just no need for it - especially first thing in the morning !

Truly don't know, in their home markets it must be viewed as something desirable maybe ?
The irony of having a relatively silent car ruined by a pointless racket must be lost on them.
I KNOW I'm opening the door, I KNOW I'm selecting drive, I KNOW I'm switching on the lights, BLING BLING BLING BLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It could be that I'm missing something but on my SE SR all I can do is reduce the volume on the 'alert sound' but infuriatingly not silence it totally.

Last edited:
It could be that I'm missing something but on my SE SR all I can do is reduce the volume on the 'alert sound' but infuriatingly not silence it totally.
I find it so fekkin annoying I fully intend to get into the relevant speaker and disconnect it.
It's second only to the LKA and speed sign nanny nonsense, but at least that goes away if you block the windscreen camera, don't ask me how I know ;)
Sorry, I don’t have my car yet, but what happens if you slide the key sounds button to the off position? Does that do away with the sound completely?
3A3B1072-C625-4805-9075-57AD2BB4933E.png

That's the infuriating part, the slider goes down to about 10% but no lower, nanny knows best children :mad:
I think he was meaning the key sounds on/off switch, it is on, you could try switching it off.
Not the vehicle alert volume slider.

Key sounds are only the noises when you're pressing 'keys' as far as I can see :unsure: I do have that off as that's bloody annoying too :giggle:
Looks like it will have to be the speaker off option :(.
How are things up there in the North, I lived in Conon Bridge for over 20 years, so many memories. Now a saft southerner.

How are things up there in the North, I lived in Conon Bridge for over 20 years, so many memories. Now a saft southerner.
Yeah, same old place in the main. Housing sprawl from developer greed and council complicity ruining Inverness to an extent , what can ya do.
Still some good drives to be had on quiet B roads though. :)

Well, I did it, I killed the BLING :love: :love: :love: I admit I'm probably particularly easily annoyed by repetitive noises but I swear, that noise above all else was making me regret buying the car.
Hearing it EVERY FRIGGING TIME you opened a door was one of the worst things, what is the point of that ?
Then switching on lights, selecting drive. I KNOW I'm doing these things , I don't need a bloody noise to tell me !
Anyhoo, it was relatively simple and if an update happens to kill it properly, easily reversed.

Lying in drivers footwell looking at the dash underside
Orange/white wire in the drivers door loom- snip. Drivers side tweeter way up where windscreen meets dash- unplug.= sweet silence. ( the BLING emanates from both unfortunately)
Ok, the radio now gives a lop sided output but I truly don't care, I often don't even have the thing on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back