Can I use 150kw (CCS) Rapid Charger?

Amazon786

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
In my 1yr of ownership I have yet not had a reason to charge my car on any Motorway Service stop. I have a couple of long journeys ahead now.
Can I use the ultra Rapid 150kw charger for my MG ZS EV Long Range (2022)?
or am I restricted to the 50kw/60kw connectors?

Any advice or tips on things to be aware of when using these will be appreciated.

In my 1yr of ownership I have yet not had a reason to charge my car on any Motorway Service stop. I have a couple of long journeys ahead now.

Any advice or tips on things to be aware of when using these will be appreciated.
Yes you can.

The car BMS and the charger commute to establish a supply rate. It isn't consistent through a charging session as the BMS will restrict what the battery can take depending on temperature and state of charge.

You can't go wrong really.

The Long/Short Range ZS can also charge at power high than 50kw as well btw. The old car can as well I think.

As per above, yes absolutely you can.

You can plug into any CCS (e.g. Ionity, 350kw) and the car will only accept what it has to capacity to do. No risk of damage etc.

The speediest you will get on a ZSEV is around the 96kw mark I believe (albeit this is subject to lots of variables, ambient temperature, battery temp, battery state of charge) etc.

You probably know this however the rate of charge will rapidly decline after around the 80% mark (to protect the battery, it's placed under higher stress at these charge levels/charging speeds) so generally speaking it makes sense in terms of journey efficiency/general etiquette to charge to around that level and continue on your way (if it makes sense for your journey).

They also tend to cost an arm and a leg (more than fossil fuel equivalent!)

1691570638005.png

Correction to above - this is a good illustration of of the speeds you'll get at what state of charge. This varies with the charger, vehicle,temps etc however is a good guide. It will only peak up to 40% and then slowly throttle downward to protect the battery. Still looks to achieve about 50-60kw between 60-80% which is still pretty quick

Thanks for the replies all. I would guess 50kw/60kw would be more economical cost wise to use, sure charging time would be higher than 150kw but I am hoping that a 25min coffee break with a 50kw/60kw charger should keep me near the 70% charge.

You may find that some chargers are too powerful to allow some cars to charge. The Gridserve site at Braintree has a range of powers on offer, with one being 350kw. I believe that some EV trucks charge there, but staff report many cars simply fail to connect

You may find that some chargers are too powerful to allow some cars to charge. The Gridserve site at Braintree has a range of powers on offer, with one being 350kw. I believe that some EV trucks charge there, but staff report many cars simply fail to connect
I doubt that's because they are "too powerful'.

350kw is an upper limit.

More like dodgy software...

I doubt that's because they are "too powerful'.

350kw is an upper limit.

More like dodgy software...
Kind of what I meant - a lot of cars have software that doesnt support it

If both car and charger are implementing the CCS2 protocols right (and the charger isn't having software meltdown of its own) then regardless of whether it's 350/150/100/50kw it should work.

The maximum upper power limit of the charger is irrelevant.

Kind of what I meant - a lot of cars have software that doesnt support it

Having just got home from a holiday in Scotland I used various rapid chargers and the car only asks for what it can handle. I had an Ionity 350kW unit only give me 32kW but then it turned out to be a free charge. An Instavolt 120kW giving me 55kW but another 50kW unit only giving out 16kW (I didn't stay on that one long). CPS where great high 40kW until about 85% then dropped to just over 30kW so stopped at 87% another free unit. Some rapid chargers share power so may appear slower.

@Amazon786 from my experience, most EVSE’s just charge by the kilowatts used, so the speed makes no difference cost wise.
Yes agree, in New Zealand the cost per kw is the same for public chargers, whether they are 50kw, 150kw or 300 kw
We pay around $0.80 per kw, ( approx halve that for England currency)
At home I have a 7.4kw wall box and charge of peak for around $0.15 per kw

We charged our ZS EV 2022 Standard Range yesterday on a 350Kw Grid serve unit at Solstice Park to 100% fine, it reduced its speed down from a maximum of 65kw as it approached 100%. It was cheaper per KW than the 50Kw unit we used today.

You can use them but it won't charge as fast as 150kw. It'll be more like 50kw in my experience

You can use them but it won't charge as fast as 150kw. It'll be more like 50kw in my experience
Are you Mk1 or Mk2? If I am interpreting correctly you are saying your Mk2 charges at 50kw on 150kw chargers? If so I think you have an issue somewhere worth speaking to dealer about, you should do a lot better than that.

Attachments

• 1000014296.jpg
    1000014296.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 61

You can charge on a 150kw but you will not get that charge rate.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom