Can the MG4 eSim be unlocked?

knusai

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi guys so I'm new here.
I know the MG4 has a built in eSim and from some searches I see if from a company called Vodafone. Idk much about eSims or the company but where I live we use a GSM network. So I was wondering is it possible to unlock the eSim in the MG4 so I can have one of my local network providers take it over. Reasons I'm asking is my navigation won't work and I won't be able to use the MG iSmart app nor receive over air updates when they are released.

Idk if this can be done. Please advise.

Hello
It's not possible. The esim is paired to the telematic box (Tbox) which one is connected to the car manufacturer servers by a secured connection. If you try to bypass this, it could block all remote access and leave your car unable to work correctly

Last edited by a moderator:
The eSim will use GSM which is a communication protocol not a company. The eSim is not linked to a particular network, like roaming, though vodaphone may handle the charges. In respect of you Satnav have you accepted the T&C's from the infotainment screen?

Last edited:
GPS does work in Trinidad and Tobago, but you´ll see an empty map in SatNav, because maps for that region aren´t loaded in the car. Same thing in the rest of Latin America.

Hello
It's not possible. The esim is paired to the telematic box (Tbox) which one is connected to the car manufacturer servers by a secured connection. If you try to bypass this, it could block all remote access and leave your car unable to work correctly
And there we have the problem. iSmart won't work in my village because O2 is the only provider giving a service. I don't need to use iSmart when I'm not at home so it's useless. The other day I accidentally triggered the alarm. 2 days later I get an SMS saying there had been an 'abnormal entry attempt'. I was in the car, 2 miles from home, when the car got a signal and could let me know.

You can connect the car to your wifi if your network works outside your house / in your garage - ah, maybe that is Trophy spec only?

What advantage is there to connecting the car to wifi ?

I’ve been away for a week and my car appears to have gone to sleep.

Would it help with this ?

What advantage is there to connecting the car to wifi ?

I’ve been away for a week and my car appears to have gone to sleep.

Would it help with this ?
The advantage seems mainly to be if you live in a poor signal area for the car's built-in internet connection and therefore you can supply wifi as the connection and then use the app reliably from home.

The car is supposed to go to sleep after 48 hours or so in order to preserve the life of the 12V battery / avoid draining the main battery. This is why you can go on holiday for 2 weeks and return to the same SOC (or 1% less).

I don't know of any way to change this behaviour. Once the car is asleep, it has to be woken up (e.g. using the key) before the app will work.

The car goes to sleep any time it damn well feels like it, as far as I can see. I was thinking it was usually about 24 hours, but once it did it less than 12 hours after being parked in the garage and only a few hours after finishing charging.

The car goes to sleep any time it damn well feels like it,
I agree. It seems to do it more now the ecall problem has been fixed, but also now sometimes starts working again after a few hours without intervention. 🙂

The 48 hour thing might be happening as well as some other cause. I'll try and monitor.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back